View Single Post
Old 07-27-2014, 06:57 PM   #19
Groundhog
Coordinator

Proof of Concept - Running a Play

I decided to put my theory behind how an actual possession would work to the test, and put together a quick proof of concept for a possession. The theory would be that each play would be a loop. A variable would be used to progress through the play, with each step pointing to the next step that would be called... In the following example I use the 'o' variable to keep the play alive, and the 'i' variable to point the play at the next step each time the loop runs.

This is a simple play that sees the C set a high pick for the PG who, if the screen is a success, will either shoot, pass, or drive:

Code:
import random o = 0 i = "" while o != 1: if i == "": #first step of the play #offensive player's positions on the court set. print "5 man moves to set a high screen for the 1" #subtract time from game clock and shot clocks. i = 1 elif i == 1: #second step of the play #offensive player's positions on the court set. #calculate the success of the screen and/or any fouls. screensuccess = random.randrange(0,2) #subtract time from game clock and shot clocks. if screensuccess == 0: print "5 man sets a bad screen." i = 99 #set a game-state variable that would mean the next possession #is a 'broken play' with the ball in the PG's hands. else: print "1 runs off the pick by 5 man" i = 2 elif i == 2: #third step of the play #offensive player's positions on the court set. #check for turnover by ballhandler. #determine if ball handler goes to the basket, shoots, or passes. #subtract time from game clock and shot clocks. pgdecision = random.randrange(0,3) if pgdecision == 0: #final step of play. #offensive player's positions on the court set. #check for turnover by ballhandler. #subtract time from game clock and shot clocks. print "1 drives to the basket." i = 99 #set a game-state variable that would mean the next possession #is a drive by the current ballhandler. elif pgdecision == 1: #final step of play. #offensive player's positions on the court set. #check for turnover by ballhandler. #subtract time from game clock and shot clocks. print "1 pulls up for the long jumper" i = 99 #set a game-state variable that would mean the next possession #is a jumpshot by the ballhandler. elif pgdecision == 2: #final step of play. #offensive player's positions on the court set. #check for turnover by ballhandler. #subtract time from game clock and shot clocks. print "1 passes to a teammate" i = 99 #set a game-state variable that would mean the next possession #is a 'broken play'. elif i == 99: o = 1 i = ""

The end result:
Code:
5 man moves to set a high screen for the 1 1 runs off the pick by 5 man 1 pulls up for the long jumper

I run it a bunch of times to make sure the results are random, and it looks good! Obviously there would be a lot more complexity involved in the final version - ie. not straight random decisions, but based on tactics and attributes. But it's a start.