View Single Post
Old 12-17-2017, 01:12 AM   #265
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM58 View Post
Honestly, its an irrelevant piece of legislation in the short term. It was in place since 2015 and nothing changed because of it nor in spite of it.

So irrelevant that telecoms spent millions lobbying to get it repealed. They did not seem to think this was irrelevant at all.

Quote:
The longer term, and more important to citizens in my view, is that it keeps the federal government from getting access to ISPs and the data via regulatory threat. It has happened before (phone records from a Title II telco) and people should really find that to be a very concerning overreach.

This has nothing to do with net neutrality at this time. And that regulatory threat (if it could even pass constitutional concerns) can be done without the current classification.

Quote:
We're not dude, as I posted above. US ISPs had already deployed infrastructure years ago (we were at the top early 2000s!) and its not practical to just rebuild it all every 3-4 years. Hell, it takes 5-10 years to fully rebuild any given company assuming no volatility that slows that down.

It also takes technology breakthroughs, standardization, and working out the kinks. Its just the timing of it and every country has those same cycles. We've gained on other countries in the past few years immensely & we're not stopping as we've got a lot of investment occurring. Thanks in part to consolidation of the industry (even if I don't personally like it) as it creates massive cost scale. You'll see 5G become viable as a home connection from telcos, you'll see 10Gbps from big cable, and hopefully you'll see the smaller companies leverage those breakthroughs as well (though they have to be more careful, as they can go broke fast making the wrong decisions at the wrong time).

We're 10th in wired internet as you noted earlier in the thread.

We're 28th in mobile speeds behind Romania, Slovakia, Egypt, Hungary, and even Kenya.

And to get high speeds, we pay significantly more than most of these countries. I'd say the countries that get better speeds for less money are kicking our ass. But some have some low expectations for a country with the power and wealth of the United States.
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote