View Single Post
Old 01-19-2024, 09:04 PM   #8
Critch
lolzcat

Make sure you watch a youtube of it first, the basegame is 10 years old and it wasn't cutting edge then. Make sure it's not too ugly for you. And if you do buy, the basegame is a fine game on its own, Royalty DLC doesn't really add much but the other two add nice little changes.

And on with the story:

For a short while Paleal is back to one colonist, the pacifist Honey, so desperate measures were needed to plan for the next raid. Namely a panic room. One of the bedrooms was updated to have double thick walls and double doors, if a raid happens Honey will grab some food and run and hide there. Hopefully any raiders will take what they want and leave and hopefully they wouldn't set fire to too many things before going. Particularly the panic room.

There had been no word on Klein yet, he hadn't escaped and there was no ransom demand, but one good bit of news is that the Savage Impid Tribe that kidnapped him are all vegetarian, they're animal worshipers and wont eat any meat so at least they wont have eaten him. Less good news for him is that they're down with slavery and also have no problem at all with executing non-Impids. I'm going to consider Klein missing in action, probably never to be seen again.

Omemenia Calls
Paleal has one friend, a nearby faction of survivalist traders. Over the years a good number of their trade caravans have passed by and Paleal has always made a point of trading something with them just to seem neighborly. Friend is too strong really but they're not hostile so that's better than most of the other factions. They send a message that they had a task for Paleal, they had an anthropologist who was traveling around observing how other tribes lived on the rim and he'd like to visit and observe. He wouldn't help out, just a interested observer. If Paleal gave him food and board for 16 days they would send a reward, the reward being a colonist. That sounded good so I clicked accept without really reading all the details.

The anthropologist turned up, he was called Gerbil and he was temporarily bed-bound due to paralytic abasia, he would need to be carried to a bed, would stay tucked up for two weeks and then would have to be carried back to the shuttle to depart. That was all in the task details I didn't read. Also in there was that the colonist they would send as a reward, Roach, was a very neurotic, drug-addicted, pyromaniac. She would have mental breaks frequently and when she did she'd burn things. I can see why they were willing to give her up.

She'd be more trouble than she was worth so I canceled the quest, so now Paleal was giving room and board to Gerbil for two plus weeks for no reward.

Gerbil was a 32 year old male and he was quickly totally besotted with Honey ("charming" and "physically stunning" are in the 13 year-old's description). My backup plan was to have Honey romance him so he would stay, he'd be useful when he was over his bed-bound issue, but Honey being 13 meant she was marked as "too young to romance" so Gerbil wasn't interested. (note - there is a infamous mod called RJW (aka The Forbidden Mod) that would remove the "too young to romance" issue, but it's too extreme for my game. It also removes the "too furry to romance" and the "too dead to romance" issues and lots of other icky tweaks too, each to their own I guess).

Gerbil was really not having a good time, Honey was too busy to feed him and there was a solar flare so the camp lost power too, he'd spend his days hungry and lying on his own in a dark freezing room. Things got so bad he forgot he was bed ridden and got up to make himself a meal, with that he regained the ability to walk. That was strange, I guess canceling the task had messed with things. He also earned his keep by going outside with the camp shotgun and killing a bison that was running amok, it was sausages for dinner all winter. I thought the bison would kill him and leave one less mouth to feed through the winter, but this worked too.

Gerbil's Departure
From then on Gerbil was put to work, no more lying around taking notes about the way Paleal lives. He was quite good at construction so he was tasked with repairing walls around the settlement while Honey cooked up corn and bison meat meals.

Two days before he was due to leave and return to his own tribe there was a one-man raid, Honey ran and hid in her panic room after picking up a few days meals as planned while Gerbil strolled out with the camp shotgun to defend against one savage with a sword. It was a Rimworld version of a wookie, a Yttakin. Big strong and furry, a human genetically engineered to work on frozen mining worlds.

We don't have to worry about Gerbil giving his Paleal visit a negative review when he got home because the savage cut off his legs and he bled to death. The savage left without stealing anything, he just carried off Gerbil's body thereby saving Honey the bother of burying him. the Yttakin tribe apparently like to decorate their settlement with skulls on spikes, so that'll be Gerbil's final resting place.

Gerbil left Paleal as he arrived, being carried because he was unable to walk.

It's starting to look like the task of looking after Honey is a bit of a poisoned chalice. On a more positive note, now she's on her own she's got enough food to keep her fed through winter.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote