View Single Post
Old 01-13-2020, 10:17 AM   #14
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

September 18, 2019

The recruiting season has intensified over the last two weeks. The first contact period has begun, so Aidan can visit the homes of players he's recruiting.

I can choose a Pitch Focus for each visit: a point Aidan will emphasize as he talks with the recruit and his family. This is where the information I've learned through phone calls comes in handy. If a player has mentioned academics is a high priority, I might choose Academics as my Pitch Focus. Or, if I've learned that a player's parents will have a high level of influence over his decision, I might choose a Focus that matches his parents' priorities.

During the first week of September, I offered a scholarship to Lewis Martin, the PF from West Virginia. Aidan could visit three players on September 11, and I chose to send him to the homes of Lewis, Michael Lockwood, and Mario Saunders.

Emails from the players appeared in Aidan's mailbox right away. Martin's response to the visit was meh. Saunders and Lockwood were more effusive, talking about what a good time they had.

Later that week, Aidan offered a scholarship to Aaron Klein (SG, 6'0", Maryland, #800 nationally). He's a very athletic guard with a nice outside shot.

Coaches could visit four players on September 18. Sensing he could seal the deals with Lockwood and Saunders, Aidan went back to see them again. He also decided to take one more chance with Martin, and made his first visit to Klein.

That day, I got an email from Lockwood:

I'll post Michael's profile once he's signed his letter of intent, which he can do in early November.

Unfortunately, I got two other "My Decision" emails. Johnny Morris has chosen to attend Northeastern, while Mario Saunders picked Boston College. It's hard to feel too bad when a player picks an ACC school over us. If I'd known Mario was being recruited by schools of that magnitude, I might not have offered him. Perhaps that's where the Gold-Star scouting report comes in handy.

I wasted no time offering a scholarship to David Bergmann (PF, 6'7", Connecticut, #723 nationally), whom I'd been following for some time. David is a rugged interior presence with a reputation for playing tough defense.

Last edited by Greyfriars Bobby : 01-13-2020 at 04:54 PM.
Greyfriars Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote