Thread: Punishment Inc.
View Single Post
Old 10-18-2005, 11:10 AM   #295
PilotMan
Head Coach

First week of May, 2007

Fight Night -

I turned down Enoch Nelson’s team. The young power punching Lightweight would have had a fight with Omar in eight weeks, but I just couldn’t send him to certain slaughter like that. He will just train.

Two important fights for Punishment Inc this week and two more that are important to boxing the world over. The first is Lee Drydon, who is now ranked #83 in the world, taking on his most difficult challenger yet. Roman Stokes is a good fighter who has to be favored over what some would have called the worst fighter in the flyweight division. Stokes is still quite young, and he doesn’t have a perfect record, and he probably will never be a world champion, but he does have some talent. He is ranked lower than Drydon now, and the highest that he has ever been ranked is #99. He has power, a good chin, and he has never been knocked down. He is very aggressive so look for Drydon to be a counterpuncher, and get him while he is coming in. Either figher has the power to end fights early, but both are very resilient. Lee is going to need to be patient, and stay focused in what may be the longest fight of his career. He hasn’t had a real tough fight for over a year now, I hope that mentally he is up for the fight. Physically, he is in the best shape of his life. Mucho dollars have been spent on his behalf, and I want to see the finished product perform in the ring. Stokes is a narrow favorite at 4/5, while the odds on Drydon are 11/10. Write it down, this is going to be a close fight.

The other, more important fight for the stable is lightweight contender, Melvin Horne, fighting Fidel Garcia. Garcia has not fought in almost a year and lost his last fight to Takayuki Takayama, via a 3rd round TKO. It has been the only loss in his 34 fight career. The men that he has faced have not been top caliber fighters though, as you can tell by his #17 ranking. Horne stands to lose some immediate credibility if he makes this fight look easy. He is still ranked #6. It will be the second time that he has fought with me in his corner. I see so much potential in him, he will need a win here, to keep his climb back to the top going. Garcia is a resilient fighter, with good power, defense, and an ok chin. Horne will be the aggressor so he needs to get off first and do his damage before getting tagged with any counterpunches. If he can do that he should be able to win. If he gets sloppy, it could be a tough ten rounds. Garcia is actually the favorite here. Horne is not getting any respect, and like I have said all along, I think that he is overrated for being a top 10 contender right now. The odds are 3/5 for Garcia and 11/8 for Horne.

The other big fights that are happening this week are:

Flyweight FOY #5 Rocky Cubillas 20-1-1(15) v. # 9 Pancho Villa 80-8-5(25)

This is a rematch from a fight between these two almost a year ago when Cubillas won in a unanimous decision over Villa. Villa has lost two of his last three fights and is getting on in age. He is still a great fighter, but it appears that he won’t regain his old glory, unless he wins here. For Cubillas, Mauro Martinez is the only fighter that he has ever lost too, and he has been handily winning his most recent fights. He should pull off another win against Villa. Obviously, the fans wanted this one, they love rematches. Cubillas is the heavy favorite at 4/9, while Villa is at 15/8. Age and determination should see Cubillas to another win over the ageing legend.

Former Lightweight Champion #3 Jorge Reynoso 22-4-2(14) v. #2 Julio Cesar Chavez 104-4-2(83)

Chavez is left at the door to the lightweight title after his stunning KO over Pernell Whitaker. Reynoso is the next best thing as he hasn’t lost since his beating against Damien Essett. Whitaker has to be salivating at the prospects here, unless it is a draw he will undoubtedly move up in the rankings. Even though Chavez is getting old, he appears to be in better shape, and looks motivated to get his title shot. Reynoso is no slouch, and could be more than the old man can handle. However, I don’t think that Reynoso is as good as Whitaker. But if Chavez is off his game, he won’t need to be. Chavez is the favorite at 8/11, while Reynoso is 7/6. Very close.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

Last edited by PilotMan : 10-18-2005 at 11:12 AM.
PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote