View Single Post
Old 04-06-2020, 05:11 PM   #233
MIJB#19
Coordinator

We got 'em!
It's early to claim our 2089 draft is a success, but I can't be unhappy about it so far. We got a new stud defensive tackle and a new quarterback!

Okay, I tried to move up to 1.1. There's a once in decades talent at quarterback in this class named Angel Hanson. 20 years old, exceptional in everything. And our brand new offensive coordinator called the kid "underrated". Yeah, we all know Maassluis doesn't Suck for Luck, so even the #9 and #13 were insufficient to persuade the Frederick Red Menace into trading down.

I tried to move up to 1.2. There was an outstanding wide receiver Riley Doyle second on our board. Our new OC was ecstatic about him. Snapfinger didn't like our picks either and went with the kid.

From there on, we just kept waiting and by the time #9 was up, I was shocked to see Fletcher still unspoken for. Our defensive coordinator really liked him and I figured: this is our position, this guy is top three in talent in this class, he's ours!

A couple of picks later, I talked with Bordeaux about the #12 pick, but once they realized wide receiver Marshall Hoffmann was still on the board, they went with picking him. Would we have picked him there? Probably.

No worries, by then I knew our second choice quarterback of this class was still available: Brandon Bell. Aside from his excellent interview, his profile doesn't wow, but he looks like a kid that can lead us to a division title.

The plan is to talk Moe Sheldon into sticking around, both as a mentor and an insurance policy for Bell.

Is this the end for Francisco Farley? It shouldn't initially be, until you understand what his salary demands are. The kid sniffed at playing time and now claims he's a reliable backup, replacement level. Seriously, things are flying over his head. His demands have been a prominent reason to look elsewhere. You heard it here first: he'll be out of football before the 2090 draft.

Contrary to Farley, eleven other restricted free agents had reasonable demands and were signed to two or three year deals. Most prominently defensive linemen Tony Whiting and Jumbo Mojica. Boy oh boy, if Fletcher works out, our defensive line will be back to our old standards.

WR Theodore Bondy and C Butch Pearson have signed a restructured deal, opening up some extra cap space for, well, who knows?

I know, we need to give MLB Daquan Espino a new deal. That will cost us some cap space.

And that's about it for now. A draft to continue, a free agency period with actually some cap space. It's been a while to have something like that going on here in Maassluis.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote