View Single Post
Old 08-28-2009, 10:13 AM   #83
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Compton would've won the title in '70 if he hadn't messed everything up. We lost in the 13th inning of Game 9 of the 1969 Classic to Brooklyn, the team that came back in '70 was better, Jimmy made the Classic without being good and still managed to botch it. I have no idea what he thought he was doing. But he made some of the wackiest trades ever, signed worse players after the fact and well..yeah.

I just couldn't understand what he was doing, but I tried to indulge him (probably too much) and I probably shouldn't have.

Chicago/Quad City was a fun ride for me because I took a team that was terrible and turned them into a FOOL champ in like 4-5 years and that was a from scratch rebuild, so I don't regret leaving. But at the same time, muns is probably right that Compton could've been a dominant for the first half of the 1970s. I dunno if they were a Valdosta-like dynasty, but they had the juice to contend with the Colorado's of the world and pre-juggernaut Hartford.

Most of the talent there was older though and so, I felt like it'd be more fun to go somewhere bad and start over.

Anyway...

I didn't want to let Anthony in the league at all. Half of folks I talked to said he's poisonous to a league, the other half said he's fine. I didn't want to pre-judge, but I probably should have...he started off okay, but then dove in and just lost his mind and well..the rest is what it is.

Looking forward to the meat of the list. Mostly because it's fun to recap the old days.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote