View Single Post
Old 08-28-2009, 10:51 AM   #87
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
Chicago/Quad City was a fun ride for me because I took a team that was terrible and turned them into a FOOL champ in like 4-5 years and that was a from scratch rebuild, so I don't regret leaving. But at the same time, muns is probably right that Compton could've been a dominant for the first half of the 1970s. I dunno if they were a Valdosta-like dynasty, but they had the juice to contend with the Colorado's of the world and pre-juggernaut Hartford.

Funny you should mention contending with the Colorado's of the world in that specific time frame, because I know you're talking about the general strength of my squad in that "era" (60's-70's), but that very specific time period--1970-1973--was probably the pinnacle for my Ranchero teams. Contended in 1970 for a playoff spot, and then went to three straight Classics from 71-73, finally winning in '73 (thanks To Alan's squad taking the season off for once). Those Colorado teams of the early 70s are still perhaps the best teams (as compared to the talent level in the league) I have ever put on the field (the Hasegawa-Valdez Hammersmith squad about 10-12 years ago was probably the other prime contender).

Interestingly enough, of course, I acquired Craig Davis from Chicago, which helped fuel that run. So DC didn't help his old Brothers franchise there.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote