View Single Post
Old 08-28-2009, 07:41 PM   #90
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Funny you should mention contending with the Colorado's of the world in that specific time frame, because I know you're talking about the general strength of my squad in that "era" (60's-70's), but that very specific time period--1970-1973--was probably the pinnacle for my Ranchero teams. Contended in 1970 for a playoff spot, and then went to three straight Classics from 71-73, finally winning in '73 (thanks To Alan's squad taking the season off for once). Those Colorado teams of the early 70s are still perhaps the best teams (as compared to the talent level in the league) I have ever put on the field (the Hasegawa-Valdez Hammersmith squad about 10-12 years ago was probably the other prime contender).

Interestingly enough, of course, I acquired Craig Davis from Chicago, which helped fuel that run. So DC didn't help his old Brothers franchise there.

Well I wasn't trying to help them once I left.

There's no doubt that outside of Valdosta, Colorado Rancheros are the class of the league. Mostly because the franchise ALWAYS contended. You had them at or near the top from the time you started, Tasan didn't waste time keeping them there and while Hartford had that insane run of titles after their juggernaut of prospects spree over the years (muns was a genius) the bottom line is, the Rancheros franchise is tops for the whole consistency deal and the fact that it had multiple owners and managed to stay the class of the league.

That Craig Davis trade was fun and Montoya was a big part of the Quad City/Chicago back to back Classic teams that won and lost in '75 and '74 respectively, so while it was lopsided given the sheer # of guys who didn't work out or that I got rid of pretty much after the deal was consummated, there's no one else who would've given me Montoya-like value for Davis and that's what I wanted in that deal.

I could've sat on him, but I think blowing the team up that had no prospects or any real minor leaguers of value was a good way to get things going.