View Single Post
Old 08-12-2009, 08:13 PM   #311
Tasan
College Starter

Interlude 11

As the Triton makes its long journey home, six new recruits report to Base Atlantic. The new recruits are:

Kodos III
Kwhit
Greyroofoo II
JeeberD II
Coffee Warlord II
Travis III

Not the best group ever, but not the worst either. They'll do. I have them stow their bags and report to the dock to receive MrBug708 II's ship and do the unload. They need to see firsthand what is required of an X-COM soldier, and I can't think of a better example than MrBug708 II and what he did today. The Triton arrives early that evening. The gear is unloaded, and I see off what little there is for about a million bucks. Every drop helps.

With almost 8 million in the bank, I order the construction of another base, this time in the northeast Pacific. We order a sub pen and living quarters first off. I want another operations base active by the end of the month. If we get back up to around 8 million again, I'll build another base, somewhere in the southern hemisphere this time.

In the early hours of the 4th, the 18 aquanauts for South China Sea arrive. The new base's roster:

Neon Chaos III
Icy II
JonInMiddleGA II
PilotMan
wahoomac
The Jackal II
RendeR II
ntndeacon III
fff III
Izulde
DataKing II
TonyR II
chesapeake II
path12 II
Barkeep49 III
Abe Sargent II
law90026 II
mrkilla22 II

Seven more engineers arrive at Atlantic as well, and I put them to work on the armor. Later in the day, the last of our new aquanauts arrive at Atlantic. The troops:

kingfc22 II
Caesar
SirFozzie II
illinifan999 III
PurdueBrad III
BYU 14 II
Qwikshot

Three more are currently being held up with paperwork problems. These seven give us a full Triton though, so we'll make do.

On the 6th, our second Triton arrives. This one will fly out of South China Sea, making this base operations ready. First mission assignments are handed out and the ship is loaded for combat.

Two days later, our scientists report that they've figured out the alien stun weapon. They are calling it a Thermal Shok Launcher, and say it should be very effective at taking down the aliens alive for in-depth study. Tell me something I don't know. Those things took down almost half my squad on one mission. I order them to research the rounds that go in the thing next. After that, we'll start trying to figure out how they get in our heads.

On the 11th, the scientists crack the secret of the Shok bombs. We can now use them during battle. Unfortunately, they have no idea where to start on our mind control problem. I tell them to think about it some and work on the bigger alien weapon for now. The new storage room and, more importantly, the labs, are finished at South China Sea. I request 32 scientists so we can get to work on more alien artifacts. I order construction of an alien containment center for that base as well, since we don't want to lose any lives ones we get from their missions.

Later in the day, the sonar rooms comes alive with action. A small contact has appeared on the scope. A Barracuda is dispatched from Atlantic to intercept. Unfortunately, we lose tracking on it around the Arctic cap and the 'Cuda returns home unfulfilled.

On the 14th, a small alien vessel is located on the sea floor just south of Base South China Sea. Triton 2 is dispatched to investigate. Much to our dismay, the alien sub starts to move again, and before we can send Barracudas to intercept it is lost from the scopes. The Triton is recalled.

Later that day, the new scientists arrive at South China Sea. Among them is our new head scientist, hoopsguy II. I order him to get his team working on the alien fuel source, Zrbite.

New living quarters are completed at Atlantic on the 17th. I request 11 more engineers and 6 more troops. I also sign off on another storage facility. We have alien doodads and bits stuffed in to every desk drawer we can find right now.

Last edited by Tasan : 08-12-2009 at 08:46 PM.
Tasan is offline   Reply With Quote