View Single Post
Old 07-26-2018, 07:06 PM   #908
Drake
assmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post
On further thought, this makes sense. Then again the ironic thing is that this has actually got a chance to be blocked/outlawed because the 'gun industry' is unlikely to go balls to the wall for something that potentially might actually hurt their bottom line. And i kinda think that quite a big portion of ardent NRA supporters/followers as well as key figures would be like "who the fuck needs this gimmicky nonsense ?" and not be to bothered if it fails.

This is 100% true, I suspect. For guys who like guns, it feels gimmicky (even more gimmicky than bump stocks)...and if you're like me, you spend enough time thinking about the dangers inherent in firearms that the idea of just a thin wad of self-printed polymer being the only thing that stands between you blowing your fingers off and not isn't particularly attractive.

Say what you may about the gun manufacturers, but they don't fuck around with safety (at least with respect to the engineering and quality control). There's a reason you can still buy century old firearms that work just as well today as the day they were made.

My wife went to the dentist today and got fitted with a temporary crown while we wait for the "real" one to arrive. She broke it ten minutes into our drive home. This happens, apparently. The resin (or whatever) doesn't set right. Gets a crack in it. You're never going to convince me that 3D printing (or any manufacturing process, really) isn't going to have similar issues. I don't think I'd 3D print a chainsaw, either.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote