View Single Post
Old 07-27-2018, 05:47 PM   #914
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
So, I broached this conversation with people at work (profile: typically moderate dems; IT professionals; university employees) because I was curious about what other people "like me" might think and I have to admit that I was a bit shocked by their take on it. They fully support the idea that whether or not a constitutional argument can be made for it, the ability to transmit data that could potentially be used to harm "innocent people" should be controlled by the government.

Not just this particular case, but any sort of "how to" information. For example, how to make fertilizer, ok. How to make a truckload of fertilizer...nope.

The even made reference to the fact that I recently started making knives in my garage/workshop solely through watching Forged in Fire episodes and Youtube videos. The found it alarming that I could learn to do that on my own just from looking stuff up...because it's dangerous, and in the wrong hands, could be used to hurt innocent people.

I didn't find their arguments particularly compelling (i.e., willing to accept more limitations on free speech in return for safety), but it turns out that I'm definitely in the minority on this one.

Regardless about the rest of all this, forged in fire is freaking awesome.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote