View Single Post
Old 01-10-2018, 12:13 PM   #416
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Bumping this back up.

So I've long been an opponent of vegetarian diets as a "lifestyle" and have repeatedly argued (both here and elsewhere) against much of the propaganda out there regarding vegetarian/vegan lifestyles as the be all end all health choice.

And that hasn't changed, but...

Doing some year end introspection and self evaluation, the one area of my life I fail repeatedly in is my health and weight management. Put simply I'm a fatass and a compulsive eater.

So I am going to try and bunch of crap this year and see what if anything sticks. I made some progress last year, albeit minor. Last January I was ~315 lbs. I got as low as 273 this past year but have slid back up to about 290. I have totally eliminated soft drinks from my diet. This was a huge thing. Last January I was consuming 10 2 Liter Diet Mtn Dew's per week....plus numerous other 20 oz in daily store stops. Gave those up in April and havent touched one since. I still cheat and allow myself a max on 1 zero sugar energy drink (monster red bull etc) a day but dont drink one ever day. A few other changes and have been working out regularly again. My strength is back with a vengeance and my cardio is improving. I still cant get my 5k time under 35 minutes but I can run/jog the whole damn thing now.

So anyway...

I realized that I dont think there is a DAY in my life past say 18 months old where I havent eaten meat. I am not sure there is a meal in the last 5 years that Ive eaten that hasnt included meat much less a day for that matter.

So I decided this week I am going quasi vegetarian. I apologize Im not hip to the various degrees and nuances, but no meat or fish for a week. Still eating cheese and yogurt. Dont drink milk so that isnt a thing either way.

Im starting day 3 here. Just wanting to see if I feel anything...different...dont really have an end game goal in site with this. Planning on running it 7 full days and see how I feel next week.

Food cravings have sucked. Wife made a huge pot of delicious home made broccoli soup last night, and my kids ate hot dogs and chips. I hate hot dogs, but I was so tempted to eat a hot dog instead of a bowl of soup. Anyway...dont want to take over this thread just wanted to post some thoughts here and plan on updating at the end and see if my opinion changes any.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote