View Single Post
Old 03-19-2015, 02:25 PM   #580
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

2015 ESSZ Age Group Sectionals - RESULTS

Day 3 - Finals

#37 Girls 11-12 100 Fly
Bailey - 1:02.70 : Seeded 18 – From the start Bailey appeared stronger in this race than she was in the morning. Her opening split of 28.91 was a good third of a second faster. Back half remained strong, and she cleaned up a few things as well to drop more time going 33 low rather than 33 high. Overall she swam a personal best 1:02.07, and moved up to 13th overall. This caused a full 180 in the confidence level, and all of sudden she was quietly excited about her chances in the 200 fly. Also, I managed to point out to her, had she swum the 1:02.07 from finals in prelims, she would have made the A final, and earned a medal. Hopefully, this accomplished 2 things : First- I hope it further improved her confidence level, because she would realize how close she was to the A final and that she’s capable of getting there, and second – I hope it illustrated to her the need to clean up her races at all times, so she can maximize her efficiencies and improve her times.

#54 Boys 11-12 500 Free
Bear - 5:16.25 : Seeded 6 – Bear swam this even in the finals because he was seeded in the top 10, and this was done as a timed finals event with the 10 fastest swimming at night. Bear opened this race a bit faster than he normally does going out in a 1:00.45. I believe he went a bit faster because he knew this would be a fast race coming in, and he saw how quickly the rest of the heat went out. Even with the increased pace, Bear made the 100 turn last in the heat (and actually behind several other swimmers that swam earlier in the day). Again, this isn’t a surprise based on Bear’s style. After the 200 split Bear had moved up to 8th. However, despite the fact Bear was holding basically 31 high fifties for most of the rest of the race, he could only reel in 1 other swimmer, finishing 7th overall (earning his second ESSZ Medal). He did manage a personal best 5:14.54, which he was happy about, but Nate beat him this time around…which he was disappointed with, but not surprised by, given how well Nate had been swimming and how strong his freestyle had been.

Note: Bailey was actually quite funny after this evening, telling Bear he needed to give her one of his medals, that he didn't need anymore. It sounds kind of petty written here, but it was actually delivered in a cute, teasing way, which was nice to see from Bailey, as she at an age where she can be quite difficult.

Last edited by Breeze : 03-19-2015 at 02:27 PM.
Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote