View Single Post
Old 11-16-2008, 06:37 PM   #158
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Oh Bull! Take off the Red Sox glasses. The Red Sox put up with his behavior for YEARS. "Manny being Manny" was something funny. So don't all "Red Sox can't be blamed" stuff.

What do you think they should have done? Put him on waivers, offer to give him up for nothing (they did both). It would have been REALLY gutsy to trade him after '04 at his most valuable, in retrospect, that would have been a tremendous idea, though nobody would have been for it at the time because it was a period or relatively good behavior.

Eat $100+ million 3-4 years ago? I'd take an even more insane Manny over that scenario.

I don't get the "blame" discussion, I don't get how it matters. Some of his shtick was funny (taking a leak in the green monster, etc). Refusing to play in important games against division rivals is so far off the charts it's ridiculous. I can't remember another professional athlete doing that in modern history in the middle of season. Fine, the Red Sox deserved that, that's not necessary to the point I'm making about Ramirez being a douchebag and hoping he doesn't profit off of these kinds of tactics.

I'm not saying they didn't get a ton out of him, and that he's not worth a shitload of money even if he only plays when he feels like it. I'm just venting about a douchebag that's about to profit millions off of refusing to play in games. The Red Sox could havehandled the whole thing better and gotten out of this sooner (I guess, though I haven't exactly thought of how). That just doesn't excuse his behavior though.

Last edited by molson : 11-16-2008 at 06:42 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote