View Single Post
Old 06-11-2008, 12:39 PM   #415
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chesapeake View Post
The cliffhanger is a pretty standard plot device used in a lot of media, although I would agree that Martin uses it effectively.

My point wasn't that Martin uses cliffhangers effectively, but that he uses cliffhangers effectively in multiple story lines, instead of just one or two.

Quote:
SOME story juggling is great. But I don't care a bit about several characters, and would gladly trade you some Sansa and Arya chapters for more Tyrion or other characters I find to be far more interesting. Aren't multiple Greyjoy storylines a little superfluous? Like a "play within a play," I only have so much patience with a minor power struggle when the greater power struggle is supposed to be the point of the series.

Oh. I kind of like the fact that the greater power struggle has the minor story lines intersperced. Mostly because, the Sansa story is going to be HUGE! And because I love seeing Littlefinger scheme. I also have a feeling that Arya is going to be playing a big part too.

And I do like all the Greyjoys and their different personalities and the power struggle among them. It makes it kind of like an actual history. There is a "main theme" but that doesn't mean the rest of the world doesn't move forward. Martin shows you what is going on with the rest of the world. I was very intrigued by the Greyjoy story arc and the different society they've built... and of course it was integral to control of the North... which may be important in Book 6 and 7 for a certain reason .