View Single Post
Old 04-22-2009, 11:32 PM   #312
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Time to name the Richmond team.

I do not like the name Hill Cats. Yuck. There are enough cats in the league already (Panthers, Jaguars, Lions).

We do some research on Richmond and come up with some names as the finalists:

The problem is that Richmond history and locale are tied just as much to the Old South and the Civil War as they are to the Revolutionary one. It is hard to name your team the Richmond Rebels or Richmond Revolutionary without also bringing in the Civil War. Other names dismissed were the Richmond Greys (using the alien as a mascot), Richmond Tobacco Planters, and other names like Powhatan, Beateaux, and even the Patrick Henrys.

Once it was realized that Richmond could not easily have itself dissociated from its past and yet have a meaningful mascot, they began the task of finding an inoffensive name that had relatively no meaning.

Suggestions included:

Rattlesnakes
Wolves
Thunder
Rain Warriors
Raccoons
Beavers
Ronin
Rivercats
Vultures
Rapids
Rampage
After some consideration, the new Richmond team will be named The Richmond Rattlesnakes.

I’ve wanted to use snakes for a while, Richmond Rattlesnakes has the whole double R thing going for it and both the Timber Rattlesnake and the Canebrake Rattlesnake can be found in Virginia, so it’s not a bad name for the area.

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote