View Single Post
Old 08-20-2004, 01:57 AM   #55
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27
This doesn't sound like a case of autism to me because this kid is trying to play basketball with other kids. He is trying to interact with other kids (even if it is inappropriately at times). It sounds like he is initiating and responding to joint attention.

I just wanted to comment quickly on this. My understanding is that at earlier ages autism can result in kids not interacting with other kids, just like you mention. However, at later ages (like 5), it often doesn't result in kids not interacting with other kids, but interacting poorly: they don't understand the basics of social interaction, and haven't learned a lot of the subtle behaviors we pick up as we grow up. I've had it explained to me along the lines that an autistic kid will treat a rock the same way he treats another person. His/her world simply lacks much of the social/human nuance to interacting with other people. Overactiveness, aggression towards others, severe tantrums, and a lack of common sense are classic behavioral signs typical in children with autism. These behaviors of course need to be coupled with many other symptoms to lead to a diagnosis of autism, but they are nevertheless consistent with such a diagnosis.

Last edited by Godzilla Blitz : 08-20-2004 at 01:59 AM.
Godzilla Blitz is offline   Reply With Quote