View Single Post
Old 08-20-2004, 07:24 AM   #60
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glengoyne
My daughter, now four, is fairly difficult to punish. Well to some degree the problem is similar to what JonIMG described. It is difficult to identify what exactly she will consider punishment. I usually only threaten spanking now, and that rarely. I used to do it more often. It was punishment number one. If that didn't work, I'd move down to number two. It only took me a year or three to realize that it was a bad approach.

When she was not quite three, a friend told me he punished his daughter(almost 5 then) by making her stand in the corner. He suggested we try it with Kerry. One day Kerry walked up and smacked our TV screen hard by running up to it and throwing her body and hands into it. It is a 45" projection unit, and while I was pleasantly surprised that she didn't damage it, I decided to try the "corner" trick. I took her aside, and explained what it was she had done wrong, and made her stand in the corner. After I let her out of the corner, she ran at the TV, smacked it. This time with one hand. She then turned around, and ran straight back to stand in the corner. Once there, she looked over her shoulder and grinned at me.

Oh man, I know all about that. I rarely spank my daughter, but when I do, I do it enough to get her attention, not hurt her, of course. And her reaction, every time, is "That didn't hurt."

We have a timeout chair in her room that we make her sit on when she gets in trouble, and my wife sets the timer on the microwave for 2-5 minutes (depending on the severity of what's she's being punished for), so that she knows when she hears the beeping that she can come out. And of course, we check to make sure she's sitting in the chair, not playing with anything, etc., or we add time. That seems to work pretty well.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote