View Single Post
Old 11-20-2004, 09:46 AM   #95
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigSca
This week we met with the neurologist - it was a 2 hour appointment, again filled with lots of questions (and my incredible wife supplied them with an 8-page history of our boy - from infancy to today, as well as our recent GLOWING parent-teacher conference). Interestingly, the neurologist refused to diagnose him with anything at this point (but supplied the standard ADHD for insurance reasons). He said that he couldn't possibly diagnose after barely getting to know him, but there were some issues that he saw that he'd like to work on - sensory issues as well as a preponderance to deal with frustration without the ability to pause and think (I'm paraphrasing here) before reacting. They're recommending very low dosage of a medication that works with the dopamines in the brain and should help him think before reacting. My wife and I have never been proponents of meds for kids (and the prescription panacea society we live in), however...we know our child has issues, but the neurologist seems to think these are not chronic. If this low dosage med can help him with his self-esteem, make better decisions, and finally....finally have a friend, then I am reluctantly giving in.

I'll let you know how we progress...

Seems like you finally found a medical person who will LISTEN and take the time to figure out what's really going on. That makes all the difference. That first set you went to were a bunch of kooks, glad you're not listening to them.

It's good to be skeptical of the meds, but it may be the right thing. Just pay close attention to how your child reacts, and keep communicating this to the doctor. Different kids (adults, too) will react differently to different meds, so they may have to try some others if this one does not work out, and they may have to tweak dosages. It sounds like the doctor wants to keep digging, but has given you one low-risk option to start making things better. As long as he keeps listening to what you're saying and explains things you don't understand (like WHY he's taking a particular course of treatment), you're in good hands.

Good luck!