View Single Post
Old 01-16-2006, 07:47 AM   #379
hoopsguy
General Manager

Looking at the Pitt roster, this is what I expected to find in the playoffs. The first two games were just some pretty fortunate scheduling. We will need our A game to beat these guys.

QB - two very good ones. The starter is JR Ashley Manuel. Ashley has only started six games, but has compiled 1,510 yards, 15 TDs (and 4 INTs), and a QB rating of 163.7 in that time. Throw in a completion percentage around 63%. Those numbers, pro-rated, match up with his stats as the full-time starter as a sophomore. He has displaced SR Buck Brown, who is a very accomplished guy in his own right. 59 TDs and a rating of 145.9 for his career.

Tailback Dewey Cherry, a SO, is one of the best in the nation. He has 1,716 yards and 12 TDs on the year. Throw in another 6 TDs between receiving and on kick returns, and you get the picture - this is a very explosive, versatile back. He has put the ball on the ground 7 times on the season and we will try to add to that number.

WR - decent trio of guys. The #1 is Seth Smith, a three year starter who needs 70 yards for his 3rd straight 1,000 yard year. He also has 9 TDs receiving and another 2 on punts. Looks like special teams play will be important today ... Seth's running mate is fellow JR Justin Scifres. Another three year starter, Justin has 2,641 yards and 21 TDs for his career. Very consistent performer; he catches everything near him.

The offensive line is quite good - both tackles and the left guard are guys who I would love to have. SR Brent Davenport is one of the best I have seen. 4 year starter with 96 key run blocks and 101 pancakes for his career. He won the Punisher award as a SO and was a 3rd Team All-American this season. Larry Bartkowski is a three year starter at LG and didn't allow a sack or commit a hold all season.

On defense, RDE Justin Zeier jumps off the page with his 12 sacks. He is a 1st Team All-American. He also had another 10 hurries, forced 9 fumbles and recovered seven.

SLB W.K. Koman is an All-BigEast performer who put up some big stats this year: 107 tackles, 7 sacks, 15 stuffs, 11 hurries, and 4 passes defended. I'm glad we don't face him (or this team) every season.

The secondary is solid, particularly at safety. SR Mike Garrison is the best of the bunch. He had a down year compared to his JR season, but still recorded 73 tackles and intercepted 3 passes. They go six deep at safety, which may have accounted for some of the production loss.

The key matchup for the game is expected to be Nicolas Morris against the Pitt front 7. They are #13 against the run.

Across the board the scouts think Pitt is just a little bit better than us.
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote