View Single Post
Old 01-16-2006, 02:39 PM   #387
hoopsguy
General Manager

Forgot to note earlier - budget will be up 80K next year to 2,285,000.
We will be looking to fill 21 scholarships and will have 123K per week for that task.

All of our coaches want to stay. Time to take a look at what they have done and determine if they are the right guys to keep as we make a push for the title ...

OC Kent McNown has been in place for three years now, after we hired him away from Ohio State. In that time our offense has been ranked #24/#12/#27.

Of some concern is that our rushing numbers are pretty weak - 34/76/86. But I don't know how that could be with the season we got from Nicolas Morris last year. He had what I consider a pretty successful year.

Passing - the attack has been excellent: 22/4/7.
Points - again very good: 23/10/4.

He is also considered to be a genius at developing the offensive line. I haven't seen it yet, but we'll see where he goes with guys he helped recruit. Obviously he struggled getting the best out of the last batch. He stays.

DC Will Clanton has never held a job for two seasons and after last year I think I have some understanding of this trend. We were 83rd in points allowed with what I considered to be pretty decent talent. Our schedule ended up being pretty challenging, but I'm not sure this is an excuse for #83. And #100 against the pass. Just terrible. We'll have to see what else is out there - he is drawing 525K per season so we may have to go up the ladder financially to find better. But we are trying to build a program, so it may be worth it.

ST coach Donnie Knight actually had coached at UCLA prior to my arrival, back in 2006-2007. We are pretty happy with his work last year, as we were the #1 team in the nation in net punting and #2 in kick returns. #24 in punt returns, pretty solid as well. Now if he can get our kickers to make big field goals ...

There is a guy, Nick Moore (father of our ex-center?) who is asking for 625K that would be a decent upgrade over Clanton. That is more than I want to spend - I'm going to try and offer less than his asking price and see if we can get him. If not then Clanton will get one more year because I don't want to make a "equal but different" move. Of course I will regret this if we suck on defense again, but that is the course I'm taking for now.
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote