View Single Post
Old 05-28-2013, 08:29 PM   #221
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
So is there a way to get a GPS device that connects to the iPhone that makes apps like RunKeeper actually accurate? For today's run I used multiple apps to measure as a test and got these results:

RunKeeper: 4.36 miles in 44:50
MapMyFitness: 4.44 miles in 44:49
Strava: 4.5 miles in 45:15
Polar Beat: 4.46 miles in 44:50

I also hooked up my Polar GPS watch that uses satellites, so totally independent of the iPhone. It said 4.11 miles in 44:43. I then took our new-ish (bought brand spanking new 6 months ago) car on the same route and it measured 4.1 by the odometer. That car also has a Garmin GPS that came up with 4.1, so I'm feeling pretty confident that the 4.11 from the Polar GPS is correct. But is there a device similar to it that uses satellite triangulation (and doesn't cost me a small fortune) that will, for example, make the Runkeeper chick tell me the *correct* time and speed??? I guess I'm saying I want something will override the iPhone's internal GPS in one of the apps. Does that make sense, and does such a thing exist? If not, I guess I can just use the watch and look down at it, but I'd prefer not to have to do that...
Update on this: after further experimentation and observation, I'm fairly certain that this issue was caused by my armband not holding the phone snugly enough to my arm. I tested with the phone in the car, as mentioned in this thread, and it was perfect. Later on I noticed that when I put it in the cupholder of the jogging stroller, the mileage was also perfect. But in my pocket or an armband and it was always reporting the run as longer than it really was. For the past 3-4 weeks I've just been running with it in my hand with a firm grip. Now when I overlay my runs onto Google Maps, they're extremely close. Today I got 3.16 miles on the phone, 3.16 miles on Google Maps. I'm coming in within .03ish miles of Google Maps on every single run since I started just holding it.