View Single Post
Old 05-31-2013, 04:24 AM   #243
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogMan View Post
just signed up for both Strava and Runkeeper after doing mission #1 of Zombies, Run! Did it part walking part jogging for 38 minutes. In fact, I went out and ran for my own pleasure for the first time IN MY LIFE, really. Always hated running and only have done it when I was forced to in the past. But it felt nice out there tonight, enjoyed the music while walking and running intervals...

Welcome to the club FM!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
Dola, anyone else using GarminSync to push stuff to Strava? I've been finding it has massive delays lately. For instance I uploaded todays commute home to Garmin Connect right when I got home. Over 5 hours later and it still hasn't shown up on Strava.

I did do the 'sign up for Strava again to make sure it works after May 30th' thing after my last run, so maybe that's the issue? But this isn't the first time it's taken hours and hours to upload, either.

Garminsync has been having delays alot lately. Best guess I can see is that there has been more users than originally anticipated, and it has been causing them more resources and thus the slowness. I've been seeing the same as you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy View Post

I have lost 3 pounds in the past 3 weeks, and by the runkeeper goal set, i'm in good pace to my 20 pounds loss goal until the end of the year, but the last days i'm having a hard time controlling my hunger, probably due to the extra calories burned so i excuse myself saying "i burned a good amount today so i can afford this" and i really do... if i wanted to keep my weight, not to keep losing.

I have had something similar happen the past month or two, where my fast weight loss has slowed down to roughly 1/2 pound a week. I've read alot on it and what I have found is the more you push yourself physically, the more that you'll need to refuel. Intense training on a calorie deficit is just as unhealthy as overeating, or perhaps even more so. From what I have read, many people who train hard for marathons (80+ miles run a week) actually gain a little weight during their training cycle. Your hunger is just your body letting you know that it does need more.

There is still much that I don't understand about nutrition combined with exercise, and there are some great books that have been recommended to me that I haven't read yet on the subject, but the initial summary that I have come to understand is that you can work on weight loss as your primary goal and keep a base level of exercise to retain fitness (often marathoners or the like will try to lose weight in base-building pre-training plan stage), but once you start back in on the intense training schedule, you really need to keep the number of calories your body needs or you'll end up suffering from poor workouts, lack of energy during your exercise, etc.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote