View Single Post
Old 06-01-2013, 11:46 AM   #248
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerRealName View Post
Good luck, I don't participate in a lot of organized races but I usually do better than I expect. You've prepared well so you should do fine. Just taking a couple days off will help a lot.

One thing with the humidity - protect those nips. I've done two organized runs this month, one in high humidity and last weekend just a 10K in a steady drizzle. Both races had a lot of guys suffering from the red streaks. Looks like pure torture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
The days off will help a lot, as well the adrenaline. The other thing I've found that makes races so much different is the 'chase' mindset. I find I'm always trying to hunt down the person in front of me (assuming they aren't pulling away from me) which leads me to run just that little bit faster than I probably would if I was alone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby View Post
Alan - good luck in your 10k!

I am supposed to be in a sling for another week and a half. Once it is off I am going to give running a try. Ribs are pretty good for the most part (I can laugh and sneeze without pain). Doc says no bike until September, but we'll see about that.

Well.. today sucked. my worst race ever probably. It was just way too hot out there. It affected everyone, so my overall place wasn't affected, but my goal for a personal best time was shattered by it. I think I ended up finishing 28th overall and 4th in my age group (out of 5.. heh) I made too many mistakes though...

My goal was to start out at my pace of 9:20, but I ran the first mile at 9:10 instead. The second mile was better, at a 9:17 pace, but I literally ran into a wall on the third mile, not even halfway through the race. The third mile I ended up slowing to a 10:10 pace and it was all downhill from there.

A little after the third mile, I had a horrible side stitch that forced me to have to stop and walk at times.. eventually it worked itself out by about mile 5, but I saw that I had only 5 minutes to go the last mile for my goal and decided to not even bother and ran the last mile in a comfortable 11:30 pace.

I couldn't believe how badly I blew up and wasn't sure exactly why.. it couldn't be just from the weather even though it was so hot, everyone suffered. Even when I had to walk, I had hardly anyone pass me at all.. and even by the end when I was struggling, I still passed tons of people.. so I think everyone just had a rough day of it.

I finally saw once I uploaded my run, my average heart rate for the entire run was 171.. that is crazy. When I hit the wall at mile 3, my heart rate had hit 183 which is pretty much my max limit ever.. No wonder I crashed and burned badly. I love Strava's suffer score.... it told me the following:

Extreme sufferfest.. heh

My highest suffer score ever was when I ran 11 miles and only had a 193.. When I had my best 10k time a few weeks ago, my suffer score was 147..

So I guess this is what the effect heat plays on the body when running ...

I will try again in another 10k run in 2 weeks and hopefully the weather will be better. So dissapointed.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote