View Single Post
Old 07-25-2008, 01:09 PM   #2
Poli
FOFC Survivor

We will be one of three 9/10 year old teams for our town. We'll be 'drafting' kids at the end of next week to fill out the rosters. I'm not really excited about drafting kids. I feel like someone is trying to make it all NFLish or something. I'd rather just have names shuffled, drawn out of a hat, pin the tail on the donkey, whatever.

Last week's free "camp" was nearly a disaster. Other than knowing the day and times of the camp, there wasn't much to it. One coach on another team took charge and led the kids through a variety of stretches. Afterwards, the kids were broken down into three groups...with each team's coaches getting to work with the kids.

Initially, we were told, "work on stances, whatever". So, that's what we did...until I saw other coaches were doing the same thing. What a waste of time. I hate having my time wasted, much less a whole bunch of kids on top of that.

I suggested we start doing some two hand touch games/drills (since we don't don pads until next week) instead. We did a variety of things over those three days; 1 on 1, 2 on 2, 3 on 3, Sharks and Minnows. Capture the flag (with a football) was probably the best.

I liked it because it allowed us to see quickness, who's aggressive, who would run hard, and who was timid even in two hand touch.

It's a no contact "camp", so honestly, I would have preferred to work on specific skills. But with the other coaches switching in and out of different things, I felt it was probably better to let the kids have fun while I was able to learn a few things about them.