View Single Post
Old 08-02-2008, 09:31 PM   #42
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkeep49 View Post
I agree. I wasn't criticizing you in anyway I was frustrated with the assholes who put you in that situation.
Didn't even cross my mind.

Speaking with the parents, I think I got most of them excited about the team. Bryce's dad is interested in helping out, and may have a nephew sign up to play as well. He'd like for him to play on our team as he'd be taking both to practices. Works for me. We're currently at 17 players, tied with the Trojans for the least. The relative part may lead him to my squad.

Nathaniel and Noah are both studs, apparently. I knew as much about Nathaniel, but Noah is a little budding star from what their parents tell me. Nathaniel's currently at a sports camp where he's getting football practice, drills, and instruction a couple of hours each day. Noah just finished 2nd in a state swim meet and will be joining his brother at the camp in two days.

Unfortunately, both boys will be out until mid-August at the camp. So, my numbers are down to 15 right off the bat. Take into account that I'd really like Nathaniel and/or Noah to be the quarterback, and I'm likely to make someone really unhappy if they've practiced at quarterback for a week or two.

On top of that, their dad's a surgeon who wishes he could moonlight as a high school coach. I spoke with him for nearly a half hour about the boys, the team, and football in general. I think I really lucked out with these boys.

David's story is that he hasn't played organized football before. His family has some Tennessee ties (great for me) and they had just moved into the area this past year. That explains why noone knew him and was afraid to take him. I'm crossing my fingers for a diamond here. I really liked his aggressiveness out of the pads.

Jacob's dad was an interesting guy. He definitely had ideas of where his son should play. Ideally, he'd like for him to play corner and quarterback, though I think I talked him into possibly being a tight end.

My main problem right now is what to do at quarterback, though. Do I give Jacob reps while Nathaniel and Noah are out, risking the wrath of Jacob's parents? Offhand, I'm not certain I know of another quarterback option for us.

A few parents expressed they were happy to have me as the coach, that they saw I was excited about the game and liked how I took notes on every kid, not just the 'great' ones.

I failed to reach just three sets of parents, so overall a pretty good day. I spent at least three hours on the phone today with parents.