View Single Post
Old 12-28-2018, 10:26 PM   #18175
Shkspr
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
It's crazy how in 1986, when I started following baseball as an 8 year old, I could have told you most of the starting lineups and top starting pitchers from almost every team by the end of that season.

Back in 'the day', a lot of our sources were print media/national telecasts that covered everybody, and each game, rather evenly. The boxscores and game summaries were all there on the same page of the newspaper; the Sporting News and USA Today Sports Weekly gave every team about the same amount of space, and SportsCenter recapped three minutes of highlights from each game. Maybe I'd turn to my team's page first, but over the course of the week I read every article in those things at least twice.

Today? I've got 27 sports sites bookmarked that I read; 14 of them cover "my" teams exclusively, and most of the other sites with news want me to tell them which teams I like the most so they can serve me content related only to them. The end result is a similar echo chamber effect to what is happening in all other forms of news consumption - I can learn more than ever about the topics that are closest to me, but hear almost nothing about things that would normally be considered important that I never make conscious decisions to learn about.
Shkspr is offline   Reply With Quote