View Single Post
Old 02-15-2018, 03:31 PM   #272
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
The guns primary purpose is to kill. The cars primary purpose is to transport people from one point to another.
We disagree here. So completely that it probably prevents any reasonable compromise between us.

A guns primary purpose is to fire a bullet. I would say its primary usage is recreation and protection not kill.

A cars primary purpose is to make life easier. Why allow gas guzzling SUVs, hell why allow 4 door cars. Just get smart cars or compacts if you have kids. Maybe if you have more than 2 kids you can apply for a permit to buy a bigger car.

Quote:

The automobile industry is regulated much more stringently. Same for alcohol and many others.

I think we can both argue either side of this. I'm not sure there is a metric to determine "more regulated"...though I will submit a car maker can sell their product to ANYONE there is no requirement to be a licensed driver to buy a car.

Quote:
But I do think you should have to apply for it, state your needs for it, have a background check, and so on. You would be easily approved given your situation. Now the 19 year old with a history of threatening to shoot up schools who says he needs an AR-15 and a shit ton of ammo, he probably doesn't get approved.

Here we agree. But Im going back to my draconian methods. If you have social media and post about killing folks, you have just voided your right to own a firearm. Ditto if you produce music, books, papers, or movies about killing people you too cant own a gun. Hell maybe if you BUY music about killing people you shouldnt own a gun.

Quote:
This isn't terribly complex. I can't just start driving a truck around if I want. I have to get a special license. I can't prescribe drugs or perform surgery on someone without a medical license. Why would owning an AR-15 and enough ammo to take out a school be different?

But here in lies the rub. You actually can buy and start driving a truck if you want. You may get pulled over and you may get fined. But you physically can. They will sell it to you.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote