View Single Post
Old 10-17-2018, 10:35 AM   #447
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
By letter of the law, it was a penalty, but he barely impeded him and he was still open after the penalty. What I didn't see was the synch-up between when the foul occurred and what Rodgers was doing - if he was in the process of being sacked, it's even more of a BS call and IMO, those types of flags should be waved off. But I also think it's stupid to penalize a receiving team for holding on a fair catch or punt/kick-off that's not even returned.
As a Packer fan, we've seen "questionable calls" impact two games and directly cost us one (Minnesota). I think it was a pretty weak penalty, but so were the two defensive holding calls against GB that gave the 49ers first downs earlier in the game. I think what happens is the one official is tasked with watching the CB/WR battle and doesn't really see the rest of the play. So, whether it made an impact or not, if that official sees something - he calls it. Along with holding on a fair catch, I'd throw in holding on the opposite side of the line in a big run. A vast majority of the time, that hold has nothing to do with the gain. It would be nice if there was a "relevance" aspect to the penalty - almost like if the ball is catchable for PI.

All that said, this Packer team is extremely flawed. I don't understand how McCarthy can't figure out a capable offense with Rodgers. You look at the other elite QBs and their coaches (Mahomes-Reid, Brees-Payton, Goff-McVeigh, Brady-Belichick and even what Shanahan has done with his QBs) and all seem to have an aspect of explosiveness to their offense. Outside of the last two minutes when Rodgers is basically running everything, Rodgers looks like he is playing in quicksand. There are no schemes to get guys open and it seems like every play is "Rodgers avoid the rush for 4-5 seconds and buy time until a someone can get open". At some point, McCarthy needs to be held accountable for this. I just can't imagine an offense with Rodgers, Adams, Graham, capable 2nd/3rd WR, a solid young RB in Jones and a pretty good OL would struggle like this if Reid, McVeigh, Shanahan or Payton were the coach. There is just no creativity in this offense.

Last edited by Arles : 10-17-2018 at 10:37 AM.
Arles is offline   Reply With Quote