View Single Post
Old 06-17-2017, 10:10 PM   #4
nol
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
Hoping the 76ers didn't give up too much in this trade. I like Fultz but I also liked Jackson at the third pick.

Yeah, I'm not as huge a fan of Jackson (if he were Fultz's age and putting up the numbers he did at Kansas, I'd consider him the best wing prospect since Durant by a significant margin, but alas) but he's still good enough that I'm not sure I'd trade him and a couple shots at another potential superstar (Luka Doncic, DeAndre Ayton, Michael Porter Jr., Marvin Bagley III, Zion Williamson, Bol Bol, to name a few) in future drafts just for Fultz when it's not like the Sixers are expected to be championship contenders in the next couple of years in the first place. Now that I think of it more, it does seem like the Celtics must have gotten a huge haul because otherwise the Lakers then taking Jackson #2 could possibly throw the C's for a huge loop (although I myself would consider Ball good enough that if he were to slip to #3 I'd just take him and not worry too much about LaVar or roster fit or whatever).

edit: The Lakers' and Kings' picks are going to Boston, but they'll have some protection on them. Honestly think that's a win-win for both of these teams, which have pretty much been destined to make a big trade with one another at some point over the past 3 years, if the picks are something like top-3 or top-5 protected. I personally would have rather traded Ben Simmons to the Celtics and held on to both future picks, but the beauty of what Hinkie did is that you don't even need to be 100 percent optimal to build a potential powerhouse if you're drafting high and not totally butchering the picks.

edit 2: In addition to #3 the Celtics get the Lakers' pick next year if it's between 2-5 and if not, they get the Kings' 2019 unprotected. Easily the best move of Colangelo's tenure considering he at best drafted a no-brainer #1 selection last year (which I'd certainly argue was not a no-brainer considering Philadelphia was still going to be a lotto team this season and that Simmons doesn't fit particularly well with Fultz or any of the top stud point guards who were going to be available at the top of the draft this year), signed a couple veterans who as of now are bad contracts and worse players than undrafted free agents Hinkie acquired like TJ McConnell and Robert Covington, and then screwed up the Okafor-Noel situation to the point that they traded the one who was objectively better and got basically nothing in return for him.

Last edited by nol : 06-21-2017 at 09:27 PM.
nol is offline   Reply With Quote