View Single Post
Old 06-18-2017, 12:51 AM   #5
nol
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
And one of the top 3 most obvious future all-NBA PG prospects of the past 10, maybe even 20 years (along with John Wall & Derrick Rose) falls into our lap & we trade him for another very good all around wing who does not have a ceiling as a 1A creator + a couple more picks that might even be top 3 protected? Yeah I'd prefer if the next Anthony Davis or KAT was available, but Fultz has a decent potential at being that type of transformative star who carries a franchise.

Yeah, and I'd consider Fultz to be even better since his biggest weaknesses are just the standard-order things any young player needs to get better at (play harder on defense, get more consistent at shooting with better shot selection), whereas the shooting ability of Rose/Wall was a weakness to the point that even though both players substantially improved at it after college, it's still what makes someone like Wall one of the 10-15 best players rather than one of the top 2-3. That takes it back to Chris Paul, and while I remember it being very strange at the time that he was only picked 4th, I was young enough that I hadn't watched enough of him in college to make a good comparison between him and Fultz. If I were to rank players based on how they looked coming into the league, Fultz would be 2nd or 3rd out of everyone currently under the age of 25 (4th if Embiid hadn't been injured at the time he was drafted).

Quote:
I also don't understand the timeline. If we really do want Jackson, why not make this trade Thursday since the Lakers can still pick Jackson? (And *shockingly* rumors have them considering him and saying the Lakers aren't 100% sold on Lonzo, though I would still bet they take Ball). If this is in preparation for a splash trade for Butler or PG13 & then going after Blake Griffin or Hayward I think that's too many chips to push in to give us only a couple year window while IT/Horford are still good and the Warriors are still that menacing. If the plan is to go the other way & build a future core, you draft the #1A guy on the board with a good chance at being a franchise cornerstone over 3 picks that will probably be top 10 but almost certainly not #1 (even if they are completely unprotected, what are the odds one turns into a #1 pick, 12%?)

TL;dr he's not perfect, but you accumulate all these assets to have a shot at a guy like Fultz.

(PS I won't even be shocked if Danny Ainge isn't even that in love with Jackson & picked Fox or Dennis Smith or Jayson Tatum at this point. The man is a complete wild card.)

Well, you accumulate them all to have a shot at a guy like Fultz but then blow it because you already have guys like Thomas and Horford who aren't going to help you beat the Warriors/Cavs in the short term and will hinder your ability to build a good team around Fultz in the long run, which makes you go all in for the present. I don't know how anyone but the most diehard homer Celtics fan would think that the team would be a huge favorite to make it to the conference finals again if they stood pat, considering Washington's awful bench lost them the conference semifinals and Cleveland's injuries prevented them from wrapping up the 1st seed much earlier during the season, which would have put the Celtics in a tougher 2nd-round matchup versus the Raptors. If the Lakers do pick Jackson, that should only make the 3rd pick more valuable.

Last edited by nol : 06-18-2017 at 09:30 AM.
nol is offline   Reply With Quote