View Single Post
Old 06-18-2017, 05:57 PM   #11
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

I'm really excited to see how things play out. As a Clips fan, I don't really have much reason to be cheery in this draft, as they have no picks and are unlikely to do anything in free agency but give their current guys a ton of cash.

But as a basketball fan who avidly plays daily fantasy and as a result knows a ton about each team, their lineup and strengths and weaknesses, I am jazzed to see how the talent in this draft affects things.

Some thoughts on the prospects:

Fultz-- He's a tremendous offensive talent. He could really be an instant star. I feel a little less about his prospects as a Sixer than a Celtic though. I feel like Stephens has a system in place and a team which buys into it. In Boston, Fultz's self-focused approach (ball dominating shot hog, teams don't win, how much does he want to play D, is he a leader?) is mitigated as part of the team. In Philly, while I like Brown, I don't know if he has the cache and system in place to properly control and focus Fultz's talent. All said, can't wait to see Fultz, Simmons and the Process on the court together.

Ball-- Everyone hates on Lavar and that dude often deserves it with the way he approaches things, and Lonzo definitely has some other things that can hold him back (weird shot, good but not great athlete), but I can tell you as a UCLA fan--no team is losing putting the ball in this kid's hands. He has a vision of the court I haven't seen in too many players in years. He will improve the players around him. He will be focused and team-oriented even if his dad is going crazy in the media. Lonzo is just like that. He can be a difference maker for the Lakers if he goes there. He's the opposite of me-first Russell, whom the Lakers should divest themselves of if they can.

Forwards-- Jackson and Tatum and Isaac all look like athletic dynamos who will massively affect the teams they end up on. Jackson has the ability to be a superstar who wins championships. All world athleticism, great defender but still developing as an offensive weapon and a mature adult. Ge might not be the best player next season but he might be six years from now. Tatum is that classic Duke guy, well coached and fundamental, good athleticism and very skilled. Isaac is an absolutely amazing athlete and the key will be his development into a fully-skilled player who can put that athleticism to good use. And then there is Markannen whom I saw now down at #12 in Bleacher Report's latest mock. That is an absolute steal. Yes, he isn't uber athletic but he is underrated there, he is long, he is a tremendous shooter and has offensive skills up the wazoo. He is what Ryan Anderson wished he could have been.

Guards-- I love me some DeAaron Fox. Just an electrifying ballhandler and finisher. Feels like Iverson to me, or IT4 if you want a more recent comp (but much bigger). Dennis Smith and Malik Monk look like impact players too. And I would love to see whomario's take on Nkitilina (sp?), whom the Knicks are apparently focusing on. I don't know much about him except that he's French and I haven't yet seen him drop out of the lottery in a mock draft.

Athletic wunderkids-- Athleticism really seems to be at a premium in this draft. There are so many guys who seem impossibly long or athletic for their positions. Many of them are super raw, but if they develop skills, they could be studs. Collins from the Zags, Audoby (sp?), Anigbogu are prime examples. Giles if he gets healthy. Bam Bam from KY, another one.

Draft depth-- This really stands out to me. I look at the 18-30 draft range and I still see a ton of guys who can play. Maybe not star, but make a difference on their teams, as soon as next year. I watched Leaf all year--his offensive skills will impact whatever team he ends up on. I saw Swanigan in the BR mock go to the Lakers at 28; man, that is an Effective big man, to get at that spot. Rabb, Mitchell, Ferguson... there are a ton of others, and well into the second round.

I wish it were Thursday already.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote