View Single Post
Old 06-19-2017, 02:32 PM   #19
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Well, chickenshit might be too strong a charge, I admit, although I do believe Ainge is a good way down the line on the chickenshit scale. Let's say he is unduly cautious. I feel like he keeps trading the future a year or two down the line, putting off pushing his chips on. IMO, he does a disservice to the fans by continuing to do this and not making a play. I believe with a key addition or two and a healthy IT, the C's could have beaten this year's Cavs team. And I believe this year's Cavs is only getting worse as LeBron gets older. I also suspect LBJ will not be in Cleveland on Opening Night 2018. Just a hunch. The EC is there for the taking.

As for Blake, I'm actually not certain that trio gets out of this summer still on the same team. It might not be as hard to get Blake as you think (i.e. market value, not well above it).

It's clear to the Clips they need to do something drastic, as their window is closing with CP3's age. It would not shock me to see them make a big move somehow. Also, Ballmer paying up to lure West back to LA tells me Doc won't have entirely total control this summer.
I think there's a good chance Blake leaves as a UFA too. I don't think the LAC as an organization had the stomach to do that for anything less than a MASSIVE overpay. Maybe at last year's draft, but definitely not at any in season trade deadline.

Ainge has had no problem pushing chips in for guys he likes (infamously being bailed out when Charlotte & Miami passed up huge offers when he targeted Justise Winslow). And having Markelle Fultz vs Josh Jackson doesn't really impact out EC 2018 hopes - trading this pick for a proven star would, as would signing a big name UFA. Taking Fultz or Jackson (or trading the pick(s) for a current star) will significantly impact the 2020-2025 title chances.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Okay, somebody help me out a little bit here. From ESPN about the BOS/PHL pick swap

So it's a darned high pick in 2018 -- unless it's #1 overall or anything worse than 5. OR it's a crap shoot for what might not even be a lottery pick (theoretically) in 2019?
That Sacramento pick (which was initially traded for basically nothing!!!) ending up in the lottery is a near-certainty, and it's probably something like a 90% chance it's at least top 7.

Btw seeing final terms I also really hate that we allowed Philly to #1 protect the pick both years. I know it was a 10% chance at best either of the 3 picks would even be that, but we didn't have enough leverage to get them to drop that? And we did this all now instead of waiting until draft night to make sure the Lakers didn't pick Ball? It's just bizarre & seems like Philly had the leverage here, when we had the best asset.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
I wonder about the reasons why that is, though. I don't think Fultz is a slam dunk superstar in the making, but I wonder if Ainge is passing on him because of actual concerns about his potential/ability, or for concerns about the impact of bringing in another guy that plays the same position as IT.
He can say whatever he wants to say. You play multiple guards, and IT is a full 10 years older. Fultz will be turning 22 & entering his prime as IT is 32 and leaving it. And Jackson has an overlapping skillset with Crowder, Jaylen Brown & Marcus Smart.

I disagree with it, and strongly think that he sold low on an asset, but I take him at his word that he thinks Jackson is the better prospect. Defense first wings are a player type he loves.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote