View Single Post
Old 06-19-2017, 04:03 PM   #21
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
I guess where the rationale of the terms (as described by ESPN anyway) broke down for me was:

You either get a guaranteed top tier pick (just not the #1) OR you get a crap shoot.

It seemed like limiting conveyance in 2018 to just 2 thru 5 or "whatever you get but still not the #1" in 2019 was ... strange. Strange for Boston to agree to I mean.
Letting them #1 protect them is very odd to have agreed to, but the main 2019 pick in play not actually being Philly's & Philly's future outlook kinda forced the weird structure. If we were trading with the Kings here likely Ainge would've pushed for carrying over the 2019 pick if it wasn't top 5 too, but obviously Philly can't do that. And if Philly is already out of the lottery by 2019 (and even if Embiid goes full Greg Oden, between Simmons/Fultz & Saric you have to imagine that's at least a 35 win team by then), there's basically no way they'd be in it in 2020/21/22.

Speculating ahead (and barring another trade) this will lead to an insanely convoluted draft lottery watching next year... I assume the Nets pick we own will be in the mix, the Lakers will probably be a lottery team (though I'd guess in the 8-14 range), so we should be going into it with a small chance at #1 + #2 a.k.a. Porter & a Doncic/Ayton/Bamba unless somebody else really pops... Or we could see Philly add Porter to an Embiid/Fultz/Simmons core while we end up projected to get guys like Robert Williams and Collin Sexton if the Lakers pick is #5 and the Nets like #6.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote