Thread: Breaking Bad
View Single Post
Old 09-16-2013, 01:24 PM   #635
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
Yeah, I don't know why Walt would want to use the ricin on himself, but that seems to be a super-popular theory.

It makes no sense from a rational perspective but people do poison and hang themselves with guns readily available. I heard David Foster Wallace describe it in a way where I finally could understand it - if you're in enough distress and enough pain to where the death is preferable, your brain doesn't really distinguish between the pain involved in different types of suicide attempts the same way because all of that pain is less than the pain you're going through. Like if you're burning alive in a building, pretty much any other means of death seems equally preferable.

So I'd buy it from a realism perspective, but not from a storyline perspective for this show. I just can't see Walt's story ending with him popping a pill and slowly dying. But it also seems like just knocking off Lydia (the other theory) wouldn't really be significant or shocking enough to warrant the 5-season build-up of ricin as a thing. Maybe he tries to poison Lydia, or a member of the supremacists, but it gets accidentally misdirected somehow and kills his son or someone else.

Last edited by molson : 09-16-2013 at 01:26 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote