View Single Post
Old 12-08-2016, 11:58 AM   #830
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Georgia Short Course Senior State Championships @ Georgia Tech - 12/9 - 12/11

The Senior State Championships are this weekend, and while the meet is designed for 15 and overs, because Bailey and Bear are the only Senior level swimmers on the Cumming Chattahoochee Gold team, they will be swimming in this event (it was too difficult to separate them from the rest of the tapered swimmers). Here is what they are swimming:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bailey

#9 Womens 100 Yard Butterfly - 1:01.27 (Seeded 84th) - Bailey has really struggled to grasp Coach Andy's changes to her stroke. Hopefully, the rest will allow the light to come on so she can post a personal best here. She'd say she'd like to go sub60, but anything in the 60s second range would be good from my perspective

#17 Womens 200 Yard Butterfly - 2:13.79 (Seeded 44th) - In finals at this event they swim an A, B, C, and D final, so 40 kids return each year. Bailey's goal here is to get into the top 40. I will probably have a good idea about her chances based on what she does in the 100. If she drops there, she could get in the top 40, maybe to 30. However, if she adds, I wouldn't expect her to improve here.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bear

#38 Mens 1000 Yard Freestyle - 10:09.27 (Seeded T28th) - Interestingly, Bear's time is no longer good enough to swim at the state meet. It now takes a 10.09.19...however his time is good enough to swim at the Southeastern Sectional meet. He's able to swim here because his 1650 time (which they don't swim at the Georgia State Championships) does meet the cut requirement. Bear is going for the team record in this one, and he'll have to be a 9:58.31...that's a big drop, but big drops are possible in this event. This will be his one shot to break it before the Age Group State Meet (and Age Group Sectionals), because he will not taper again until those meets come up in February and March. That's a tough ask, he basically has to hold 60 second laps for 10 consecutive 100s without stopping. Fingers crossed, I'd love to see him accomplish it. And in case you are wondering, if he were to tie the team record, he'd likely finish in the top 15.

Last edited by Breeze : 12-08-2016 at 11:59 AM.
Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote