View Single Post
Old 02-22-2020, 10:39 AM   #158
Dolemite73
High School Varsity

Playing my FBPro98 USFL League, we are now in the 2002 season with the (4-6) Los Angeles Express playing on the road against the (4-6) Birmingham Stallions. The last 4 minutes of this game is unlike anything I have seen. Here is the sequence:

1. With 3:57 left in the game Birmingham K Phil Dawson kicked a 29yd field goal to give Birmingham the lead 14-13

2. In the ensuing kickoff, Los Angeles WR Dennis Northcutt returns the kickoff return 56 yards to the Birmingham 29 yard line.

3. After a 3 and out, with 2:30 left on the clock, Los Angeles K Neil Rackers kicked a 41yd field goal to put Los Angeles ahead 16-14.

4. With 1:38 left in the game, Birmingham QB Peyton Manning finds WR Marty Booker in the flat who is then immediately stripped of the ball by Los Angeles CB Ike Reese; Los Angeles LB Julian Peterson picks up the ball and returns it to the Birmingham 25 yard line!

5. On the very next play, Los Angeles HB Bryan Westbrook takes a sweep off tackle and runs down the sideline for a 25yd TD! For some weird, idiotic reason, Los Angeles lines up for a 2pt conversion. Los Angeles fails to convert the 2pt conversion and the score is now 22-14.

6. After a squib kick, Birmingham executes a clutch 10 play 63 yard drive down to the Los Angeles 5 yard line with :03 left in the game.

7. With the clock at zero, Birmingham QB Peyton Manning throws a dart in the back of the endzone to WR Tim Dwight for the TD!

8. Birmingham lines up for the 2pt conversion. Ball is snapped to QB Peyton Manning who runs a delayed keep to convert the score! Onto overtime we go in the most clutch fashion I think I have seen in 22 years playing this game!

In overtime, Birmingham won the toss and never looked back as WR James Williams return the kickoff 47 yards to the Los Angeles 37 yard line and the Birmingham offense moves the ball down to the 1 yard line for the game winning 18yd field goal.

Just an amazing sequence of events extremely late in the game. And in retrospect, a terrible decision by Los Angeles to go for the 2pt conversion. There was no need to do it.

Last edited by Dolemite73 : 02-22-2020 at 11:21 AM.
Dolemite73 is offline   Reply With Quote