View Single Post
Old 04-06-2020, 01:12 PM   #162
Comey
College Starter

We were not clear favorites to beat Gonzaga, after further inspection. In fact, it was the absolute reverse; we were 10% favorites to win that game.

It was an absolute epic. Back and forth, nobody really getting any sort of distance on one another...until the final two minutes, when Gonzaga took a five-point lead going into the final minute.

We hit a bucket, then got a stop. We came down, and freshman forward Damien Anderson, our leading scorer and someone whose relationship with me died during the week (he had been having continual issues with fellow freshman, C Jamal Rose, and I called him on it) hit a three, tying the game at 78.

Thirteen seconds left, and I braced for a potential game-ending shot.

And it came.

But not from the Zags.

My best player, Tim Owens, stole a pass. He threw it up to Lucas Robinson, our power forward, maligned all game in foul trouble, who threw it down with :04 left. Timeout, Zags.

It happened so fast, it was tough to comprehend.

I put in a full-court defense, and hoped for the best. They got a look from half court, but it fell off. We somehow pulled off the 80-78 win over Gonzaga, and arrived in our first title game.

The magic was spent that night, though. Maryland, led by a freshman guard Shannon Collier, held us at arm's length for the entire second half. Owens got into foul trouble early. He was joined by Anderson. Down 11 at the break was a blessing, but it soon went to 20. We managed to get it to 5, but every time we threatened to cut it to one possession, they would edge it back out.

We ultimately lost, 90-71. You feel great and terrible for the kids, to get to that stage, and then to just not finish the job. But that's okay...we return our starting five for next year, a few key reserves...all is not lost.

And then...Damien Anderson, who broke out in the second half of the season and became THE guy, told me he was transferring. He wound up at Purdue. The real sting came when hated Xavier guard Mark Walters, who inexplicably decided to transfer out from a national champion and perennial contender, went to Maryland.

The rich got richer.

And, with now five scholarships, one center and three senior point guards, on the roster we have a lot of work to do.

Comey is offline   Reply With Quote