View Single Post
Old 05-20-2020, 07:06 AM   #166
PilotMan
Head Coach

Yeah QS, that's a nice run for sure. What a tight field though. Everyone, outside the winner, within a length of the next horse.

I've got one to add today.

Had to fire up a game of FBCB (which I haven't in years) because of the CBJL season starting and I was itching to get some practice in on team building. In my third season of player acquisitions and 4th in the game, I'd taken on NDSU Bison. Full conference movement on, makes things challenging and we go from a 20 win first year, where we almost make the dance, to 3 years later where we start non-conf play at 4-8 (hey, we played 3 eventual top 50 teams). I was still feeling good about conf play. The team had weaknesses for sure, but it was a 'better' team.

The AD goal has been to make the NCAA and raise our rep, and we nearly did it 2 years ago. Last season was a first round disaster. Conference play starts awful. We drop the first 2 games before we get a W, then rattle off 8 straight losses. All those losses against no team higher than a 158 RPI (the only team we actually DID beat in that stretch) and as low as 337 (lost twice to them).

With a 1-10 conference record at the end of January, we're in danger of missing the cut for even the conference tournament as we ride hard into last. Only the top 8 teams get to play. We come back to win 3 in a row, one against a team with an actual winning record (in the Summit that's not easy). Then we drop another. We're still out of it, but with 3 to play to need to win every game from here on out.

IPFW 80-53
Drake 86-39
Montana 100-94

And we manage to stun everyone and qualify for the Summit League Tourney as a 7 seed.

Round 1 against the 2 IPFW goes our way 79-67.
Round 2 against the 3 UMKC goes our way 80-75.

We're in the finals against the 8 seed Drake. That's right. The 7 and the 8 play for the title. It's a much harder game this time but NDSU pulls off the comeback with a 90-84 win to take home the Summit League Championship and head to the Dance for the first time.

Talk about an unlikely comeback. We go from dropping 11 out of 12 to winning the last 9 out of 10. Our season record stood at 14-19 and the NCAA gave us a play in game for the 16 seed to play Kentucky. I don't even care if we lose. We hit that benchmark.

PS to add:

We bounced Nicholls State 83-78 in a game where the score was closer than the game. That makes us the legit 16 seed on our way to be demoed by the Wildcats, who are the #1 team in the nation with a 31-2 record.

PPS...

KY blitzed us 102-49, proving just how good we are. We shot .295 from the field, were out rebounded 30-47, while KY had 10 steals and 6 blocks along with our 18 turnovers. We had 1 steal. Still.....we got there in an awful year that required a massive turnaround.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

Last edited by PilotMan : 05-20-2020 at 07:50 AM.
PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote