View Single Post
Old 08-05-2019, 05:59 AM   #31
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
Not sure if we have one of these, so here goes...

Three suspicious hits on my CC showed up today...

Feb 7, 2019
REDBOX *DVD RENTAL
$3.20
Feb 7, 2019
MARATHON PETRO202952
−$1.00
Feb 7, 2019
MARATHON PETRO202952
$0.00

1. We haven't been to Redbox since the 2000s, and they certainly don't have this CC#
2. Neither of us bought gas yesterday or went to a gas station, and if the 202952 represents the store number, it's a Marathon gas station that's 45 minutes away from us, on the other side of Winston-Salem, in an area where we simply never go. And what's up with it being a credit and a 0-dollar??? Yeah, fishy.

Interestingly, I called the CC company and they said they can't file a dispute yet since the charges are still pending, so I guess it's just wait and see? Weird response to me. Seems pretty clear that something ain't right.

Quote:
On Sunday a -$3.20 Redbox line item showed up in pending, reversing the original, and the Marathon items disappeared entirely. Now all are gone and there are no suspicious charges at all. Given this and the reaction of the Customer Support person, I'm now wondering if this sort of thing happens for non-innocuous reasons and I've just never noticed it??? Still seems weird/fishy, but given that we're not responsible for paying for fraudulent stuff and the royal pain it would be to get a new card number---we probably have 15ish monthly auto-pays on this card--I guess at this point I'm gonna let it ride. *shurg*

Quote:
Even with Chase telling me it's not necessary? They're the ones on the hook for the money...

Quote:
Dola--I'm wondering if it was somehow their mistake and they don't want to say that? Can a bot reverse a charge like that?

Quote:
Never had that option with another bank or card either. I once lost a CC at the zoo between the gift shop--last place visited--and the car. Couldn't have been gone more than 5 minutes when I called and they even canceled it then. It's why the initial "well we have to wait and see" response struck me as so weird. Honestly, after the first call, the second one didn't surprise me. It makes me wonder if there's a known glitch in their web site or something along those lines.
Just remembered this thread and thought I'd see how long this had been. We're at just about six months, and no issues, no more weird pending transactions. Nothing. At this point my best guess is "issue known to Chase that they didn't want to reveal." *shurg*