View Single Post
Old 08-01-2021, 02:25 PM   #220
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
I mean it certainly could have. Simone was talking to about feeling like she was carrying the weight of the world on her back and the pressure to be the GOAT.

I mean Djoko's situation isnt much different. Clearly the big favorite to win and anything less is a failure. With that said, it would really shock me that Djoko would find the Olympics so overwhelming as I would think the Wimbledon and US Open finals would be much more pressure and the Olympics would be kind of a cakewalk for an athlete like Djoko.

They may have had different issues but they could be both related to the same pressures as mental issues show up in different forms. I think Brian said as much in a much better way.
Not quite, Novak Djokovic has made no secret of the Olympic gold being a missing prize in his all-time great resume. But his mindset might already be on winning the US Open to complete a calendar Grand Slam, not to mention that the Wimbledon final that he won recently got him up to par with Federer and Nadal at 20 grand slam titles each, that must have done something to unconsciously loosen up a bit. And he's got plenty of consolation prizes already, including an Olympic medal, 3rd or 4th wasn't much different to him, it seemed. Which still isn't an excuse to throw around your racquet.

Which reminds me: why are some sports (boxing, judo, to name a couple) allowed to hand out two bronze medals, when they can easily throw the duo into the ring, onto the mat or whatever one more time to decide who deserves the bronze, just like the tennis world has been forced to do in the last 20 years after initially having shared bronze as wel. Shared medals are for when people actually competed and miraculously had the exact same performance (not going to spoil that one, but there was at least one of those today), I saved a picture of the triple silver medal from Rio 2016 with Laszlo Czeh, Chad Le Clos and Michael Phelps.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote