View Single Post
Old 01-05-2008, 12:34 AM   #152
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Alright, why did we explode this year? I attribute it to four things:

1: Tyrus Torres’s ypc greatly increased, which helped our running game become more dominant.

2. During all of his starts, Yoo is a sack machine. Toss out his first year, when he was still learning the game. Since then, Yoo has been sacked a lot. I grabbed my calculator and did some quick math. He goes down an average of 2.9 times a game. This year, McEroy went down 8 times in 11 starts. If don’t know how many sacks are drive killers, but if you figure that half of all sacks end drives, then Jack Yoo ends one and a half dries every game because of sacks. If there are eight to twelve drives a game, then Jack Yoo’s propensity for sacks kills around 15% of his drives. In the other hand, McEloy had ended around 4 drives in 11 games, instead of around 1.5 drives a game. That’s a big difference.

3: McElroy is plain out more accurate than Yoo. Yoo’s best QB season by rating was 2010 when he had a 99 QB rating and a 23:15 rating. Despite starting 16 game sin a season, Yoo has never thrown for more than 26 TDs, or less than 10 picks. On the other hand, McElroy’s completion percentage and QB rating hammered Yoo’s. In 11 starts, Dan notched 23 TD’s, and would almost assuredly broken Yoo’s TD record. He had 8 picks, and to be fair, that may have risen to 10, 11 or 12. But 30:12 looks a lot better than 23:15.

4: This is by far the most important, I feel. Our special teams were scintillating this year. This is why I care so much about parsing the special teams stats. When your retuner gets you 12.1 yards per return, and that’s without a breakaway TD to explode the stats, you are in a much better scoring position. When your main KR gets 28.7 yards on every kickoff, and again, that is without a breakaway TD to skew the stats, then you are cooking. When your P gets you the second longest punt average in the game, you are humming. When you have the player with the most points on the season, Sigman, you are spinning. When you have the 11th and 15th best special teams tacklers in the game by number of tackles, you are singing a merry tune. Simply put, when your special teams is this good, in reflects everything else.

Next Year? Honestly, if I keep the special teams up, and McElroy doesn’t slump, then I don’t see why we can’t continue the way we just did.

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote