View Single Post
Old 12-21-2018, 02:01 PM   #233
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
I have almost 9 hours into Octopath Traveller and I am really enjoying it.

If you have a Switch and you're looking for a FF3/6 vibe, you should definitely give it a shot.

I'm about 3 hours in right now, and I agree that it is quite good. The visuals are awesome, with the pixel look mixed with 3D environments, excellent lighting effects, and phenomenal sound / music so far. The story...is less than amazing to this point, though it is pretty early yet to be making judgement on that.

I had a really hard time at first because I started with H'aanit (the Hunter), and her dialogue is extraordinarily hard to take seriously. Not sure if it's the localization or that they just went way too far with the dialect, but a hunter who lives in a small village out in the woods with a super pronounced Shakespearean mode of speech is just...laughable, to me. Which was extra frustrating, because the voice acting seems top-notch so far. Getting a little away from her story has been nice, because it seems like most everyone else speaks much more normally.

That being said, the combat system is intriguing, offering enough tactical decisions that the random encounters haven't gotten boring yet. And so far the boss fights have been magnificent - challenging without being unforgiving is a nice change of pace for the typical JRPG fare where the combat is either laughably easy or damnably frustrating. Combine it with what looks to be a Tactics-like job system and skill learning path, and I am pleased with character development and combat so far.

The out of combat special actions each of the characters can use seems cool, but I worry that it will be tiresome once I have more people in my party; so far I'm up to three, and I am already tempted to skip things because there is a lot to do.

So far I give it a solid 7/10 with room to grow.

Last edited by Vince, Pt. II : 12-21-2018 at 02:02 PM.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote