View Single Post
Old 01-09-2019, 09:22 PM   #242
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
I can give you half-an-answer: it's been improved on PC.

I'm still not sure whether I'd give it a full thumbs-up, as I think it's desire to be a "realistic RPG" make it occasionally toe-the-line of making me feel like I'm doing actual work. That said, I believe you're intimately familiar with similar kind of inventory & skills micro-management from Fallout & Skyrim.

The combat is harder than most similar RPGs to learn, both on a purely mechanical basis, and because you have to essentially re-learn how to approach a fight, adjusting for the "realism" that makes it truly difficult to engage any more than one opponent at a time (and the lack of any fantasy monsters).

All that said, I think the increased busy work and tougher combat actually do serve to make it a more rewarding experience when you actually do or find something of significance, and the increased threat makes even just wandering around the world aimlessly a more exciting proposition that requires some preparation and forethought.

Getting decent at sword fighting in that game felt so rewarding to me. Early on you'll fight some bandits that equally as bad as you with a sword and you'll think you're getting the hang of things, but when you run into a guy that legitimately knows what the hell he's doing and it's frustrating because you won't land a single blow. This isn't a game where he has X amount of armor so I'm not doing damage. It's a game where I'm not doing damage because he parries everything, counters, everything, and generally makes me feel like the blacksmith's son that I am.

I really enjoyed the game overall, but as I've mentioned on here before, it's very difficult to recommend to people because it's in no way shape or form for everyone. You're either going to like it for it's brutal realism or hate it because it's difficult and boring.

I think they did a good job creating an engaging storyline and an interesting world without the use of magic, dragons, or orcs. A few quests are truly memorable (Father Godwin, the Witches) and at no point did I feel like the most bad ass person in the kingdom.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote