View Single Post
Old 11-14-2005, 10:01 PM   #1
NoSkillz
College Benchwarmer

EHM2005: Sharpening Swords in Buffalo

New GM Expects Playoff Berth; Brings Back Blue and Gold

September 1 2005 (Buffalo News) -
Managing Partner Larry Quinn introduced new Buffalo Sabres General Manager Matthew Bosela in a press conference at HSBC Arena this morning. The 32 year old Bosela, the assistant GM under Darcy Regier during last year's lockout season, assumes full control of all hockey-related operations for the Sabres.

"This organization is filled with explosive young talent and I completely expect the team to be in the playoff hunt right away", Bosela exclaimed. "The fans of this hockey club have been extremely patient over the past five years and it is time they're rewarded with a winning team."

Quinn would briefly talk about Regier a moment later. "Darcy did an absolutely marvelous job and I would never say anything to diminish his many accomplishments over the past nine years in Buffalo. There just comes a point in time where patience runs out. We've righted the ship from a financial standpoint but now we need to move forward and turn this franchise into an annual contender in the standings."

Talking about Bosela, Quinn would remark that "Matthew is one of the brightest young minds in the game and both Mr. Golisano and I feel that he's the perfect individual to take this club to the highest level."

Lindy Ruff and his coaching staff will all retain their positions for 2005-06. "Lindy is the longest tenured head coach in the National Hockey League for a reason." Bosela exclaimed. "He brings great passion and dedication to the franchise and I truly feel he is the right man to coach this club."

Bosela would receive a standing ovation moments later, when he announced that the Sabres were going back to the traditional blue and gold color scheme with a modernized logo. He then unveiled the new home and road jerseys for all to see. "The blue is a little deeper than before and the gold is a little more pronounced", Bosela said. "The logo itself has a sharper looking Buffalo and the swords are pretty much carbon copies of the blades on our third jersey from the past number of years."

"Our ultimate goal is to bring the product back to the great fans of Western New York and Southern Ontario", Bosela said. "We want to provide merchandise our supporters will be proud to wear and ice a team that they will be proud to root for. It's up to me to show we're on the right track."

Bosela concluded by saying he's finalizing details for the upcoming 2005 training camp and would have interesting news to share in the days ahead.

Last edited by NoSkillz : 11-16-2005 at 06:29 PM.
NoSkillz is offline   Reply With Quote