View Single Post
Old 11-18-2005, 07:18 PM   #32
NoSkillz
College Benchwarmer

Buravchikov Shines as Sabres Win Prospect Cup; Zagrapan Named MVP

September 11 2005 (Buffalo News) -
Vyacheslav Buravchikov doesn't speak a word of English. However, the huge smile on his face spoke volumes about his thoughts on the two goal, two assist performance he delivered in an 8-0 Buffalo Sabres victory over the U.S. National Development Program, a game marred somewhat by an old-fashioned brawl late in the contest. The Sabres perfect 3-0 record locked up the first annual Prospect Cup in resounding fashion.

"Every Russian hockey player dreams of playing in the NHL", Buravchikov said through an interpreter. "I'm only here for two weeks, so I have to play really well to make a positive impression for the future.

Buravchikov was spectacular in all three games and led the tournament in goal scoring with four. His seven total points made him the top scoring defenseman in the event.

Artem Kryukov scored twice in the victory as well, while Phillip Gogulla, Marek Zagrapan, Mark Mancari and Denis Denisov added singles. Gogulla (1g 3a) joined Buravchikov with four points on the night.

As mentioned, late in the game a huge scrum broke out when NTDP's David Kolomatis took exception to Branislav Fabry's tenacity in front of the net. Three fights broke out simultaneously and the end result saw all six participants kicked out of the game.

"It's a shame the game had to end like that", Sabres coach Lindy Ruff stated after the game. "Fabry was just going hard to the net and ran into the guy (Kolomatis). Obviously, he wasn't in the most accomodating of moods with the score the way it was but still it was pretty uncalled for."

Zagrapan, a huge force in all three games, was named tournament MVP after scoring two goals and adding eight assists in the event. Also considered for the award were Buravchikov, Gogulla (1g 6a), goatender Adam Dennis (2 shutouts, 0.33 GAA) and Dylan Hunter (3g 4a).

"I'm just happy I'm getting a chance to show the team what I can do", Zagrapan said after the game. "I felt really comfortable on the ice the whole tournament and I just hope I can get the opportunity to play in a real NHL exhibition game."

In the last game of the tournament, R.J. Anderson, Ryan Potulny, Dan Irmen and Brian Borgen all scored for Minnesota in a 4-2 win over Denver. The Pioneers got goals from J.D. Corbin and Ryan Dingle. The Golden Gophers finished second in the tournament, winning two of their three games. The Pioneers finished third while the U.S. National Development Program finished at the bottom with three losses.

FINAL
OT
TOTAL
NDTP

Buffalo

FIRST PERIOD
SCORING
1. Buffalo - A. Kryukov 1 (P. Gogulla, D. Ezhov), 2:31
2. Buffalo - A. Kryukov 2 (D. Ezhov, P. Gogulla), 2:45
3. Buffalo - V. Buravchikov 3 (M. Zagrapan, M. Gragnani), 13:47 (PP)
PENALTIES
Buffalo - M. Sheviev (Holding), 3:34
NTDP - R. Schnell (High Sticking), 12:01
Buffalo - M. Sheviev (Tripping), 15:01
NTDP - C. Cohen (High Sticking), 16:29
SECOND PERIOD
SCORING
4. Buffalo - P. Gogulla 1 (V. Buravchikov), 5:25
5. Buffalo - V. Buravchikov 4 (M. Gragnani, M. Zagrapan), 8:02
PENALTIES
NTDP - B. Strait (Tripping), 5:58
NTDP - G. Squires (Charging), 14:28
THIRD PERIOD
SCORING
6. Buffalo - M. Zagrapan 2 (P. Kaleta, D. Hunter), 6:32
7. Buffalo - M. Mancari 3 (P. Gogulla, V. Buravchikov), 8:57 (PP)
8. Buffalo - D. Denisov 1 (V. Bizyaev, M. Dubec), 9:16
PENALTIES
Buffalo - D. Hunter (Holding the Stick), 3:12
NTDP - M. Rust (Hooking), 7:59
NTDP - C. Summers (Holding), 12:20
Buffalo - P. Kaleta (Interference), 12:39
NTDP - B. Strait (Roughing), 14:40
NTDP - M. Rust (Roughing), 17:44
Buffalo - J. Hulva (Roughing), 17:44
NTDP - C. Summers (Roughing), 17:44
Buffalo - M. Vondrka (Roughing), 17:44
Buffalo - C. Aslund (Fighting Major & Game Misconduct), 17:44