View Single Post
Old 11-20-2005, 09:33 PM   #42
NoSkillz
College Benchwarmer

Numminen Assists as Sabres Swat Blue Jackets

Buffalo News
September 20 2005 (Buffalo, NY) -

New Sabres defenseman Teppo Numminen (pictured) contributed four assists and was named first star in a 6-0 destruction of the Columbus Blue Jackets on Tuesday night at HSBC Arena.

The Sabres iced a lineup a little more similar to what will be seen on opening night and thoroughly dominated the contest, outshooting the Blue Jackets a whopping 49-19.

Thomas Vanek scored two more goals, while Maxim Afinogenov, J.P. Dumont, Clarke MacArthur and Dmitri Kalinin added singles. Vanek now has five goals in two preseason games. Mika Noronen (pictured bottom right) played extremely well and made several big saves to earn the shutout.

"Everyone keeps saying that I'm the odd man out here", indicated Noronen. "We've got four excellent keepers in camp and I just have to keep going out and playing hard in practice and making the most of any chance I get to play in games."

"I want to be a number one goaltender in this league and I can't let my concentration falter for one second."

Numminen (4a), Vanek (2g 1a), Daniel Briere (3a), Dumont (1g 1a) and Kalinin (1g 1a) all contributed multi-point games.

Ruff utilized the following line combinations in the victory: Briere centered Vanek and Dumont, Tim Connolly was inbetween Ales Kotalik and Afinogenov, Derek Roy was in the middle of MacArthur and Mark Mancari while Paul Gaustad centered Daniel Paille and Sean McMorrow.

On defense, Ruff employed Jay McKee and Toni Lydman, Kalinin and Numminen and lastly, Doug Janik and Nathan Paetsch.

The Sabres will play next on Thursday night at home versus the St. Louis Blues, with a 7:00pm start time.

FINAL123OTTOTAL
Columbus0000
Buffalo3216
FIRST PERIOD
SCORING
1. Buffalo - M. Afinogenov (A. Kotalik, T. Numminen), 1:21
2. Buffalo - C. MacArthur (T. Numminen, D. Kalinin), 3:39 (SH)
3. Buffalo - J.P. Dumont (D. Briere, T. Numminen), 6:15
PENALTIES
Buffalo - S. McMorrow (Charging), 2:42
Columbus - B. Berard (Slashing), 8:36
Columbus - M. Hartigan (Elbowing), 12:04
SECOND PERIOD
SCORING
4. Buffalo - T. Vanek (J.P. Dumont, D. Briere), 10:26
5. Buffalo - D. Kalinin (T. Vanek, T. Numminen), 10:34
PENALTIES
Buffalo - D. Briere (Roughing), 4:47
Columbus - D. Westcott (Tripping), 7:32