View Single Post
Old 11-20-2005, 11:33 PM   #44
NoSkillz
College Benchwarmer

St. Louis Singing the Blues in Big Loss to the Sabres

Buffalo News
September 23 2005 (Buffalo, NY) -

The Buffalo Sabres stormed the net of beleaguered Blues goaltender Reinhard Divis all night, peppering him with 62 shots in a 7-3 victory last night at HSBC Arena.

Maxim Afinogenov (pictured) and Jason Pominville (below right) both scored twice for the Sabres, while Ales Kotalik, Derek Roy and Jochen Hecht notched singles. Afinogenov (2g 1a), Hecht (1g 2a), Chris Drury (3a), Pominville (2g), Roy (1g 1a) and Kotalik (1g 1a) all had multipoint games.

St. Louis got goals from Blake Evans, Scott Young and Andy Roach.

"Just a dominating performance offensively", enthused coach Lindy Ruff. "However, we have to tighten up quite a bit in our own end if we're to continue our success in the regular season. We allowed entirely too many odd-man situations in the defensive zone and Ryan (Buffalo goaltender Miller) had to stand on his head to keep them at bay."

Pominville is one of the great stories of camp and continues to make life difficult for Sabres management, who have to make a decision soon on the final cuts in camp.

"I've had a couple good years in Rochester and know I have to score if I want to make the club", implied Pominville, who has three goals and three assists in his three preseason games. "Today was a bit different, playing with Al (Kotalik) and Chris (Drury) but we seemed to gel out there right away."

"I want to get Connolly going so I changed things up a bit and put Hecht out there with him", Ruff indicated. "I thought it was his best game I've seen in quite some time from him." Connolly had ten shots on net and was robbed on a number of them but did contribute an assist in addition to a +3 rating.

Ruff's lines included: Druy centering Kotalik and Pominville, Connolly was inbetween Hecht and Afinogenov, Derek Roy was in the middle of Taylor Pyatt and Chris Thorburn while Adam Mair centered Clarke MacArthur and Andrew Peters.

On defense, Ruff employed Toni Lydman and Jeff Jillson, Brian Campbell and Rory Fitzpatrick and finally, Doug Janik and Henrik Tallinder.

FINAL123OTTOTAL
St. Louis1203
Buffalo4217
FIRST PERIOD
SCORING
1. Buffalo - A. Kotalik (C. Drury, J. Jillson), 0:26
2. Buffalo - M. Afinogenov (C. MacArthur, D. Roy), 9:50 (PP)
3. Buffalo - D. Roy (T. Pyatt, H. Tallinder), 12:23
4. St. Louis - B. Evans (K. Tkachuk, E. Weinrich), 12:30
5. Buffalo - J. Hecht (M. Afinogenov, B. Campbell), 19:44
PENALTIES
St. Louis - M. Sillinger (Cross Checking), 5:18
St. Louis - J. Mayers (Elbowing), 7:58
SECOND PERIOD
SCORING
6. Buffalo - M. Afinogenov (J. Hecht, T. Connolly), 15:05
7. St. Louis - S. Young (D. Weight), 16:02 (PP)
8. St. Louis - A. Roach (S. Young, E. Weinrich), 18:21 (PP)
9. Buffalo - J. Pominville (C. Drury, J. Hecht), 18:59 (PP)
PENALTIES
Buffalo - A. Mair (Cross Checking), 5:46
St. Louis - R. Low (Roughing), 13:57
Buffalo - J. Jillson (Roughing), 13:57
Buffalo - A. Mair (Charging), 15:58
Buffalo - C. MacArthur (Hooking), 16:26
St. Louis - J. Mayers (Interference), 18:35
St. Louis - A. Roach (Hooking), 19:12
THIRD PERIOD
SCORING
10. Buffalo - J. Pominville (A. Kotalik, C. Drury), 13:48
PENALTIES
Buffalo - J. Hecht (Interference), 5:53
St. Louis - S. Young (Charging), 10:41
St. Louis - B. Salvador (Charging), 17:28
GAME INFORMATION
SHOTS ON GOAL123OTTOTAL
St. Louis11184 33
Buffalo 202220 62
GOALTENDING
St. LouisR. Divis (L)
Buffalo R. Miller (W)
POWERPLAYSTHREE STARS
St. Louis2 - 41. M. Afinogenov (BUF) 2g 1a +2
Buffalo 2 - 62. J. Hecht (BUF) 1g 2a +2
ATTENDANCE139953. C. Drury (BUF) 3a +2

Last edited by NoSkillz : 11-21-2005 at 03:24 AM.
NoSkillz is offline   Reply With Quote