View Single Post
Old 11-25-2016, 10:53 AM   #26
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Okay so I was looking at the first play in the thread just to see if they were responsible and it just appears to me they just blew their assignments. It's just that the QB didn't see or take advantage of them.

1-10-WAS12 (4Q: 01:03) Harrison Iacuessa pass completed to WR Chris Hillhouse for 12 yards and a TOUCHDOWN! Hillhouse gained 2 yards after the catch. The quarterback threw away from the double coverage. Washington 13, Dallas 13
OFFENSE113t Personnel, Weak formation, PistolDEFENSE34 Eagle, Nickel Personnel, Press-1
QB H.Iacuessa
***LDE L.ShullRush Passer+++
X(SE) L.BushSecondary, F Flat (0-4)+++NT B.MathisRush Passer+++
TE C.BensenOutlet, 3 Comeback (9-12)+++RDE K.MarquisRush Passer+++
Z(FL) C.HillhousePrimary, 3 Comeback (9-12)+++SLB T.RhodesShort Zone+++
RB G.StewartOutlet, W Wheel (9-18)+++SILB E.MontgomeryShort Zone---
SLOT R.SpearmanOutlet, 1 Out (5-8)+++WLB K.BanksShort Zone---
LT D.Stehlik
+++LCB K.RiordanBump and Run+++
LG K.Sawyer
+++RCB E.MunozBump and Run+++
C E.Hardman
+++NB P.HenryBump and Run+++
RG S.Rector
+++SS C.LyleDouble TE+++
RT R.Morrison
+++FS J.LeakeDeep Zone+++
(4Q: 01:03) Extra point by Jordan Osorio was good. Dallas 14, Washington 13

To illustrate, here is what that exact play look like:

What I love about the new game is that I can just design the exact play above easily in the play designer. As you will notice it is 113t which is the equivalent of 1 running back, 1 tight end, 3 receivers and it is weighted on the strong side of the formation (trips).

In the above each of the CBs did their assignments well which is why they don't have a negative. Here is what an eagle 3/4 Nickel roughly looks like:

Since this is a trips formation on offense, that means that slot (SL) receiver moves to the strong side of the formation (where the TE is). In addition, since this is Bump and Run Coverage, that means all 3 CB were up at the line of scrimmage.

Looking at the above and comparing it to the play, it is most likely the SLB (the O above the TE) covered the TE in the zone and the Safety helped to double team him. That leaves a RB open and their was most likely confusion on who to cover which made them blow their assignments but the QB didn't go that direction.

So what I am saying is that the Touchdown happened due to a well executed play that was well defensed. Now it can be sort of be indirectly involved, I guess, since there were two blown assignments, but I am leaning towards the former.

The reason I am leaning towards this conclusion is because I see other entries in the logs in which there is a passing TD not due to blown coverage. In the example below, the CB was not successful on the blitz. While we can conclude that not getting pressure on the QB helps the offense, we cannot say he is directly at fault for the TD. A well executed play (good route running, good pass) plus good personnel can still win out.

Example:
2-3-CAR03 (1Q: 07:57) Joe Flacco pass completed to WR Keenan Reynolds for 3 yards and a TOUCHDOWN! Baltimore 6, Carolina 0
OFFENSE 113t Personnel, I formation DEFENSE 43 Under, Nickel Personnel, Cover-2
QB J.Flacco
*** LDE K.Ealy Rush Passer +++
X(SE) M.Wallace Secondary, 7 Corner (19-26) +++ 1tcDT K.Short Rush Passer +++
TE D.Pitta Outlet, 5 Deep Out (13-18) +++ RDE S.Lotulelei Rush Passer +++
Z(FL) B.Perriman Outlet, S Screen (S) +++ SLB C.Johnson Short Zone +++
RB T.West Outlet, S Screen (S) +++ SILB L.Kuechly Short Zone +++
SLOT K.Reynolds Primary, F Flat (0-4) +++ WLB J.Norris Short Zone +++
LT R.Stanley
+++ LCB R.McClain Man-to-Man +++
LG A.Lewis
+++ RCB J.Bradberry Man-to-Man +++
C J.Zuttah
+++ NB D.Worley Blitz Passer ---
RG M.Yanda
+++ SS M.Griffin Deep Zone +++
RT J.Hurst
+++ FS K.Coleman Deep Zone +++

By the way, I highly suggest downloading those PDFs off the site. They help explain a lot and get me a bit giddy every time I play. Here is an example of what the routes are (strong side of formation, flip when it is on the weak side):

Heck, if you just use that when viewing the game logs, it will help you see the routes each receiver is taking with just the number alone. Example when you see this in the game log - Secondary, 7 Corner (19-26) - you are just looking at number 7 on the graph to get a visual of the route.

Last edited by Antmeister : 11-25-2016 at 09:33 PM.
Antmeister is offline   Reply With Quote